x

I sold my shop and equipment: Is it necessary to to a factory reset on the Square Register?

I sold my shop and equipment.  The new owners want to use the set up with menu and everything that I have on the square register.  I’m not sure if there’s anything on there that is connected with banking etc.  I will be closing the square account that is connected with the shop and they will open a new one.  

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2

@gailr There has to be an official process for this so hopefully someone will chime in with the answer. 

Your questions promted more questions for me to ask? If I sell my store how do I sell the cash register? Hmmm

The register itself must be wiped as it is most likely linked with other accounts and devises you own. In the very lease you will want to wipe it because it is associated with your Apple ID assuming you are using an iPad set-up. 

I never thought about this, but as for the Account, I would want to remove all of my information. I think I did experience this years ago when I had two accounts working as one.  I was fianlly able to get square to make me a third account then merge everything together with the new identity, bank account and so on... the store programming stayed the same and simply transfered over to the new account.  I bet this is what they will have you do. I woul call in on this one.

Message 2 of 3
Admin

Hello @gailr and thanks for your reply to this @Feedback2016!

The Square Register isn't tied to a specific account — and the same is true for all Square hardware. The Register/Point of Sale app 'recognizes' you by your log in details.

So yes you can sign out of your Register and perform a factory reset too if you like (to remove printer/cash drawer settings) and then give it to someone else. When the new owner signs in with their account email address and password (they must create a new Square account) it'll be like new!

You mentioned that the new owners would like to use your item library? You can export a CSV file of your item library from your online Square Dashboard and share it with the new owners. When they upload to their online Square Dashboard they can make changes if needed, and the items will appear when they sign in to the Register.

If you are going to close your account make sure you export any reports that you might need in future as you won't be able to access your Dashboard after the account has been closed.

Let me know if you have any other questions about this, happy to help! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 3 of 3