x

Is anyone else getting receipts intended for someone else?

I have gotten 4 receipts from Square now for purchases that I have not made. There is no way that someone is typing in my email for purchases made at these stores, and they are all in completely different states that I have never been to. 

I'm just curious if I am the only glitch in the system of if this is happening to other people.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Alumni

Hi @MaxWins - thanks for making your first post to the 👥 community. 

This can happen when a seller enters their own email address instead of the customer's email address in order to receive a copy of the receipt.

If this is the case, please refrain from sending customer receipts to your own email address or phone number. Our system links receipt delivery information with the card used for the purchase so customers don’t need to enter their email address or phone number when they purchase something from another Square seller. If you enter your own email address or phone number instead of allowing customers to input their information, your email address or phone number will be associated with their credit card and you may automatically receive their receipt anytime they pay another Square seller.

What you are likely seeing is a receipt for a purchase one of your customers made with another seller. You have not been charged for anything.

You can choose to be sent a payment confirmation email after every completed transaction, and you can always find detailed information about each transaction in your Square Dashboard.

I've asked a team member to take a look at your account and unlink your email from any of your customer's payment cards. 

Message 2 of 4

Hi, 

I'm having the same problem! I've been receiving email receipts intended for someone that I once charged using square. When I charged her I emailed the receipt to myself (sorry! I didn't realize I shouldn't have) so now I've been getting her receipts. I unlinked my email by clicking the "Not your receipt?" link at the bottom of the receipt. If you could please make sure that she receives her own receipts going forward I would really appreciate it. 

Thanks!

Message 3 of 4
Alumni

Hey @ICAA! Since you've already unlinked your address, the customer will now be able to link their own email once they visit another Square merchant 👍🏼

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 4 of 4