x

Is there a way to open cash drawer without receipt printer?

I want to be paperless and not have a receipt printer. Due to the nature of my business, I do have a kitchen receipt printer for orders. But I do not want to have printed receipts. Square already offers digital receipts, but why can't we have a software update push for the cash drawer to auto open without a receipt printer - wouldn't that defeat the purpose of offerring a digital receipt? I'm manually opening the cash drawer currently, but would like a more efficient and safe method. Or is there a way to do it? I have done a few research but haven't found anything on this option.

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

If you use the Square register stand you can purchase this cash drawer.  It connects to the stand via USB and does not require a printer.  

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

If you use the Square register stand you can purchase this cash drawer.  It connects to the stand via USB and does not require a printer.  

Message 2 of 8

Star Micronics CD3 1616 Automatic Cash Drawer

This is the register i bought. Will this work?

Message 3 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

This is a Printer Driven drawer so it must have a printer connected to it.  

Message 4 of 8

😞 I guess I bought the wrong one. No wonder. So I should have gotten the one with the USB?

Message 5 of 8
Super Seller Alumni

That is correct, but you must also have the Square Stand.  Are you using the Square Stand?

Message 6 of 8

Yes I do have the square stand. I bought a bundle. But apparently not the right bundle for what I needed. Wish I would have discovered this forum in the beginning. I called the place I ordered from before I ordered and asked them if I don't get the receipt printer with that bundle will the cash drawer still automatically open when I make a sale and he said yes. So I was misinformed. And then when we got it and it didn't work. I was so frustrated and disappointed that no one was able to tell me as simple as I needed a USB drawer if I don't want a receipt printer. 

Message 7 of 8
Alumni

@ikravecafe ugh, so frustrating, sorry you had that experience. Did you order your hardware from Square? Is so, you can return it within 30 days. Here's the returns page to get started. 

Message 8 of 8