x

No Tips bar

Is there a way to change NO TIPS bar to OTHER like other POS systems?  I bought the square terminal more then a year ago now but not yet get to use as all of my employee would not like to switch over because of the NO TIPS bar.  They have been asking me to contact SQUARE to see if I can change the words of the NO TIPS to OTHER.

Message 1 of 10
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @vietnamsub !

Unfortunately you can not turn off the No Tip button on the Square system. However, you can make it where your customers get the option of a custom tip. An Other button will show up on the tip screen, and the customer has the opportunity to enter their own tip amount.

On your Point of Sale, tap the three bars, settings, Checkout, Tipping. Look for the "Allow Custom Amounts" option and turn it on. Your customers will see the three tip amounts, an Other button, and the No Tip button.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
Super Seller

Best Answer

Hello @vietnamsub !

Unfortunately you can not turn off the No Tip button on the Square system. However, you can make it where your customers get the option of a custom tip. An Other button will show up on the tip screen, and the customer has the opportunity to enter their own tip amount.

On your Point of Sale, tap the three bars, settings, Checkout, Tipping. Look for the "Allow Custom Amounts" option and turn it on. Your customers will see the three tip amounts, an Other button, and the No Tip button.

Hope this helps!

Ryan Wanner
Golden Pine Coffee Roasters
Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Super Seller: I know stuff.
Beta Tester: I break stuff.
he/him/hey you/coffee guy/whatever.

Happy Selling!
Message 2 of 10

Thank you so much for your reply.  I guess my servers just do not want to see or have the NO TIP button as it is just too easy for the customers to just click the NO TIP button easily. 

Thanks 

Message 3 of 10
Super Seller

@vietnamsub The only other option would be to look at automatic gratuity (check for any state specific laws etc) or do paper receipts and settle tips daily.  The second option is not much better as they can just write in 0 and signing slows down your customer flow.

What I would do is maybe train and change the way they approach the tips at checkout.  Do a script like, "Ok, your total is $12.49, (spin around/customer display etc.), if you feel your service so far today is fantastic you will have the option to add a tip for me/the staff/your server, and then it will give you the option for a receipt."

We have found when we started allowing tips on cards was that if customers know the tip is going to the person ringing up the order/staff, they were more likely to tip.  If they are that vocal about the button for no-tip, then I would have them use that energy in seeing if they can increase their tip sales.  I have been using the team sales report for my cashiers to show their tip rate and look for those low performers and see what they are doing.  Just my 2c.

Donnie-M

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 4 of 10
Beta Member

yep that's the problem, it's too easy to just click continu as the no tip button is now default selected. Could Square remove preselected option?

Message 5 of 10

dude you cant force cutomers to tip.  Pay your staff more.

Message 6 of 10

Can square remove the decimal in "custom tip"? Our customers often type 0.03, or 0.01 when they use the "custom tip" option, and there is no way we can add more tips once the transaction is completed. 

Message 7 of 10
Square Community Moderator

Hello @mifenprince, 

Thanks for your feature request, we appreciate your feedback. We suggest you let your customers know that the amount entered works with two decimals, for example with a small decal, or sign next to your checkout. 

Message 8 of 10

We saw a decrease of 5% in tips after switching to square. Can you make it possible so there's not a no tip button, but just a "custom tip" button where the user can enter in 0.00?

Message 9 of 10
Beta Member

The person above is 100% correct.  Square is becoming very well known for killing normally high tip percentages once installed all due to the way to conveniently placed NO TIP Button.  Absolutely true in my case as well except it was more like 10% drop in tips the moment we installed Square.  There is no legal or other reason the NO TIP button has to be on the checkout screen. This is beyond easy to fix on Squares part and would greatly help service industry employees retain there tip percentages and not loose money because of Square.  Employees and owners ARE LETING YOU KNOW we notice a significant drop in tips all due to the NO TIP button placement.  How is that incentive for any service industry person to wan to use Square?  Several of the best business in my town love most of what Square offers, but refuse to switch mainly because of this.

A SUGGESTED SOLUTION:

It is way too easy for someone to quickly hit the NO TIP button when its right in front of them, but would fell more inclined to tip something if they had to go through the effort of hitting custom amount and putting in 0.  WHY cant the no tip button be removed with the customer still having the option to custom tip 0 if they choose? This simple fix still gives the customer the ability to tip what ever they want, will help keep tip % higher for all service workers and remove the negative stigma the NO TIP button is giving SQUARE throughout the bar and restaurant industry.   No one wants to install a system they know will hurt their servers tip %.

Please add this subject to the Beta Program to be resolved. 

Message 10 of 10