x

Square POS Operations in US Territories

Good morning!

I am Grad student living in the United States Virgin Islands and I am writing a paper on how if companies like Square POS operated in US Territories the economy would experience an uptick in activity, tax collections would be stronger, and the average small business owner would be twie as productive given the resources Square provides. Especially today, when US Territories have experienced being hit by two back-to-back Category 5 hurricances, the people can use all the help needed as they live in a (my guesstimate) a 70% cash run society and the opportunity is certainly there. My hope is to work with the local government to establish legislation that breaks down the barriers that prevent Square from being in these areas.

My chief questions are:

1) What barriers to entry exist in the USVI that prevent Square being available to small business owners?

2) What technical issues need to be resolved for Square to operate in the USVI?

Many thanks for all that can contribute to this research paper.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Admin

Hi @JPdeJongh, thanks for your interest in Square's operations!

I know it's a difficult time for the people in the US territories in the wake of the hurricanes and I'm glad to hear about your paper!

I'm afraid I can't share details about our operations but I can let you know that​​​ ​Square is unavailable in US Territories, including the Virgin Islands, because many industry wide banks don't have corporate presence in these territories. As we depend on partnerships with these banks to extend underwriting to our customers, we’re unable to offer payment processing in US territories at this time. 

Thanks again for your interest in Square.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 2