x

Total Emails Sent Do Not Match Actual Sends. Open Rates Decreased Since Email Outage 2017

We are writing about your email service. A quick review of our account shows that we have about 1700 emails.

9 months ago we could send out 1700 emails and approximately 95% of those emails we’re sent out.

Back in Late 2017 you all had a major email fiasco that resulted in emails being lost. This was acknowledged by square via notifications. Since then when we send out emails to 1700 people, only 1200 actually go out which we can see in our dash. Of those only 13% get opened.

We have not change anything on our end, but a review of our account shows that last year from Jan-August we would send out 1700-1800 nearly all of which were received and about 20-30% were opened.

Whatever you have done or the error that occurred is resulting in multiple customers everyday asking us why they don’t  get their emails . This directly has impacted our sales numbers significantly and in fact it affects your fees because we are processing less.

I like square, I think your company isn’t great, I own stock in it. However something is broke definitely in your system since your outage back in 2017.

#1) when you hit send from square marketing campaign it says that 1700 emails are sent at the time. then when you check the next day only 1200 go out.

#2) whatever was done on the backend with how customers receive emails is either going to spam or not going out.

I would think that this would be a huge priority as if your square clients are losing sales, you are losing Fees.

Just imagine if 33% of your emails were not going out, and then on top of that you dropped from an average open rate of 25% on 1800 (400opened) down to 1200 emails of 1700 sent and a 13% Open rate (140 opened).

That’s a net loss of 60% of opened emails and probably a decline of 15% in customers coming to the store and making transactions.

I hope this post Does not get lost as we put time and effort into clearly describe the number loss. I have asked other square merchants of which there are many, they all confirm a decline over the past year in opens and issues since you’re email fiasco last year. Lets see what the community has to say here. 

Thank you. A 7 year square customer.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

Thanks for taking the time to share this @rhoback. I know how important email sends are to a business, so I can imagine your frustration. 

I shared your post with our team and we currently have some engineers looking into it. I'll update you when I hear back, but I might also have the opportunity to put you directly in touch with someone from our team once we find out what's going on. Can you follow up with me over private message so I can get your contact info? 

Thanks for your patience and your post. 

Message 2 of 5
Square

Hey @rhoback, my name is Edward and I’m a Product Marketer on the Marketing team - thanks for your feedback, and definitely understand why this would be a source of frustration.

The number of reachable customers you see when you send an email is higher than the number of emails that are actually sent because we now hold back sending an email if an email sent to that address in the prior two weeks has bounced. Typically, this is because an email address is no longer valid or isn't in use anymore.

We recognize this could be confusing, and are planning to make changes so the initial reachable customers count excludes addresses that have bounced. There are a few other things that may be going on in your case, so I’ll reach out to you directly to provide some suggestions.

Thanks again for your feedback and for being a Square seller!

Message 3 of 5

Thanks for your feedback but you are wrong. 33% of emails arent going out and this isnt because they are bouncing. This happened when your service went down last year. 

You also lost emails that we had uploaded as we verified this by checking our hard kist against what now exists in the square list.

if you remove mor of email addresses it would be a further negative. 

Message 4 of 5

Please do not

remove a single

email from my list. The answer of “well, we will just remove emails from your reachable list is not acceptable”. That is occurring because whatever is going on with your system is causing the bounces or errors. Its very clearly defined by looking at my  history where from one day to the next our received ans reachable matched up, and then it didnt. I have been contacted by another square customer engagement team member.

Message 5 of 5