x

What are the advantages of square terminal?

What's the place of the new Square Terminal in the current Square POS hardware-software system?  The flashy web pages and video are way cool but say nothing about how exactly I'm supposed to use it. 

I have an iPad/SquareStand, USB Star Micronics receipt printer, USB/Bluetooth chip reader, and USB cash drawer, all working fine.  Which of those, if any is the Square Terminal intended to replace?  As long as my current setup is working, what's the advantage of the Square Terminal.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

The square terminal isn't a replacement for your current setup, just another option when designing your business.

The square terminal uses the interface Square POS uses on a phone so it lacks the Grid layout for fast choosing items, so in my opinion, it isn't for a store with 100s or thousands of items as it will now have to be searched for or scrolled thru the item list.  It is a much more portable device so you could use it at farm markets, tableside at a restaurant etc.  everything is built in, the swiper, chip an tap reader, printer, touchscreen, so it is much easier to set up.

If what you have is working there is no need to buy it.  I have 3 Square Stands and a couple ethernet printers and I don't have a place for Square Terminal in my retail store, but I may buy it for my Farm Markets where I currently travel daily with multiple iPad minis and multiple Square contactless readers because in that situation it might be easier to have one device for portability.

Message 2 of 2