x

Why Square and not other mPOS systems?

We're opening a business in the spring and thinking of which system to pick. 

All the businesses around us use square so we are inclined to set it up too. 

However, with enough revenue, other systems seem to be cheaper (with enough sales to offset the monthly charges that they have)

For example, one system (don't want to advertise here) charges $60 monthly and its credit card processor charges only 5 cents per transaction. For it to be cheaper, you have to generate about only ~2K monthly and above. 

My question is basically: what's so special about square or...am I missing something? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

@Fresh1 @VanKalkerFarms - either of you have any thoughts for @Turnpark

Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

What is most important to us is the actual Register interface and related reporting, but Square's rates are also competitive and include the POS system. I'm not sure what other system you're referring to, but I'm not aware of any service that doesn't charge a percentage of the credit card sale. The processor, like Square or PayPal, has to pay the credit card companies, like Visa and Mastercard, a percentage of the amount charged, so the processor pass that (plus their profit) on to you, the merchant. Square does not charge any monthly fees nor does it charge any per transaction fee per swipe (there is a fee for manually entered transactions). I'm guessing whatever system you're referring to is charging $60 a month for their POS system and 5 cents plus a percentage for credit card transactions. You need to do a little more investigation of the company you're looking at. Feel free to PM me if you'd like me to help you compare but don't want to talk about the other company publicly. 

Message 3 of 5
Alumni

Thanks @VanKalkerFarms - appreciate your perspective here. 

@Turnpark, if you have any questions for us here at Square, let us know - happy to help clarify if you have questions about our pricing or products before getting started. 👍

Message 4 of 5

Hello,

I would look closely at how they advertised price of that alternative vendor rates are calculated, and any additional fees that may be occuring through their program. The least expensive option on flat rates really depends on your average guest check, and velocity of guests.  I can see through quick calculation that it is possible to reduce your fees, but the cost for CC processing has got to be picked up somewhere/somehow in the agreement. Otherwise that company has created a position that forces them to subsidize your use of their POS.

The benefits of Square for me are transparent metrics, the ability to grow my buisness with additional services when I require them, and a strong dedication to improving the interface for the user and communities.

Reach out with more questions, I would be interesting in helping you reach a decision on POS systems.

Message 5 of 5