x

Why can't I change the name of the person used to create the account?

for what i understadn i can not change the name of when i open the account ? but what if the person that open the square account does not have anything to do with the business. ? does that affect ? im confused>>

Message 1 of 50
2 Best Answers
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @toñita - Currently, Square accounts are permanently tied to the person whose information was used to open them. We recommend that it be opened under whoever owns or is permanently involved with the business. If you have someone opening the Square account on your behalf, you would just need to ask them to enter your personal information during signup.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 50

Best Answer

Yes we can now transfer the account name online in dashboard-account. 

Did it yesterday, worked in about 10 minutes.

View Best Answer >

Message 40 of 50
49 REPLIES 49
Alumni

Best Answer

Hi @toñita - Currently, Square accounts are permanently tied to the person whose information was used to open them. We recommend that it be opened under whoever owns or is permanently involved with the business. If you have someone opening the Square account on your behalf, you would just need to ask them to enter your personal information during signup.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 50

This is silly! "Owners" change in many businesses, and the account shouldn't be tied to past GMs. Square, please fix this so we can update the owner to a new name of a new owner! Or allow us to change the name to a role rather than an individual, or the name of the business rather than the name of the individual. No employee is permanent!

Message 3 of 50

This is ridiculous. Really? I need to change my last name as the owner. So you are telling us that after all this time, Square still has not made a simple owner name change possible? Really kind of sexist. I am supposed to move everything over to a new account, all out records, clients, transactions just so I can change my last name? Lame. Fix this!!!!!

Message 4 of 50
Beta Member

hi can I get a square card with my married last name? or am I able to update my last name to my married last name 

Message 5 of 50
Square Community Moderator

Hi @paigenicole0920 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

Great Question.

At this time, the ability to change your Square Card name is a feature request. Because there is no way to change the owner name on the account, the cardholder name is unable to be changed. We will make sure to make this visible to our product team right away.

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 50

WHY, WHY, WHY is this still an issue?!?!?!?!?! I can change my name in my bank, I can change my name for license, I can change my name on my social security card, everything has my current name EXCEPT SQUARE!! I love everything about this service but this issue KEEPS COMING UP. And now you send me this debit card that I cannot use because you refuse to change my name. And now you are a bank? How is this legal? If this is for business purposes, and everything to conduct business legally is under my current name, why can't square figure this issue out??

Message 7 of 50

Here, June 28, 2022, I'm facing the same thing and still no change. My wife died. The account was in her name. You would think a death certificate would suffice. Square puts our credit card sales daily in my bank account with my name of it. They send me a credit card with my name on it and then tell me they can't activate it. I will have to open a new account. Love Square, everything about it EXCEPT this!

Message 8 of 50

I 100 % agree that if we have a LEGAL NAME CHANGE we should be able to change that as the owner of our account.  This is the ABSOLUTE MOST ARCHAIC FEATURE OF SQUARE.  I have been divorced and remarried and would LOVE to be able to change this.  SQUARE....YOU REALLY NEED TO UPDATE YOUR METHODS.

Message 9 of 50

And also, MOST OF US ARE THE OWNERS OF THE BUSINESS, therefore we opened our own accounts. Things happen in life, like, you know, marriage, divorce, etc. 

Message 10 of 50
Beta Member

It's absolutely ridiculous to assume that businesses won't transfer ownership, get married, or even pass away! I will not create an entire separate email just to create a new account with the correct name - that's preposterous. 

Message 11 of 50

So if I legally change my first name (which I just did), I am now stuck with an account tied to my deadname? That sounds odd, coming from someone with her pronouns in her signature! Sounds like you might understand my problem. My Square account is so rarely used (like maybe twice per year) that I really don't care to close everything down and start over. Whatever. If I can't change my name, it stays in my deadname. 

Message 12 of 50

Hi @MacTavish14 - I see this is your first post in the Seller Community so I'd like to officially welcome you! 🎉👏

At this time, we aren’t able to edit the legal name you used to activate your Square account. But I do know that this is currently on our team's radar and for the same reason you've mentioned here. We'll be sure to announce when this feature becomes available so our Sellers are aware of the update. The current suggested workaround is: If your past legal name is no longer associated with your identity, create a new Square account with your new legal name.

Please note: If your name was changed less than 6 months ago, you may not be able to be verified in our system – so I’d recommend waiting at least 6 months after your legal name change to attempt to create a new Square account.

When a new account is created, the same EIN and bank account can still be used from your previous Square account. You can also download information from your current Square account to your new account by following the steps listed here.

I hope this information is helpful but please do let me know if you have any additional questions.

Violet
Message 13 of 50

I don't like this answer, but I greatly appreciate your through and quick response. I will wait out the end of the six months before creating a new account. Thank you again for your help!

Message 14 of 50

Thank you for saying that, @MacTavish14! I'm glad to hear that I was able to help you a bit in this situation 😅 🙏

For the record, I know this isn't the best answer and I know it can be painful to still see your deadname after all the work it can take to have your name legally changes 😞 The only reason why we haven't been able to do this sooner is because of the legalities of it all, unfortunately.

We always want our Sellers to feel safe and comfortable using Square ❤

Violet
Message 15 of 50

I got divorced and need the name to change but rely on square for small loans for my small buisness is there any way to take the old name off the reciepts or change owner name I'm so upset this is not possible yet. 

Message 16 of 50

Hi there, @DiggidyDogs - thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community! 

You can edit your receipt information directly from your Online Dashboard. You can specifically edit the Business & Naming information as well from Personal Information tab from Account & Settings. 

Joe
Message 17 of 50

Even if I can't legally change my name as the owner, how can I change the name that the clients see? I do not go my by legal name, and it's not my clients business to know my legal name. How can I change this?

Message 18 of 50
Alumni

Your activation name is not customer facing, so it sounds like you added your name into the field for business name, which is customer facing. 

From Dashboard, head over to Account & Settings > Business > locations to check if your name shows up anywhere on that page. 

You're using the Standard Point of Sale right? @misscale

Justin
Message 19 of 50
Beta Member

I got married and my account is in my Maiden name.  I want to change it to reflect my married name.  This should really be a simple fix.  Even if you have to verify it with an ID or something.  Please.... 

Message 20 of 50
Super Seller

SAME PROBLEM! I got married almost 3 years ago and Square still hasn't found a way to let me change my name. They just want me to open a new account which I do not want to do. 

PayPal had a very simple process in place for changing my name. It can be done. This is one of the few issues I've had with Square. They just don't want to figure it out.

My Girlfriend's Wardrobe est. 2012

Preston & jayne est. 2023

Downtown York Pa

Square user since 2012
Message 21 of 50