x

Why didn't any of my Offline Mode payments go through?

Has anyone ever had square decline all of your charges from a day because your system allowed the charges offline and they werent processed soon enough??? I have about a thousand dollars in charges declined only because it didnt connect timely enough. To top it off we do not have any contact info for the customers nor will square help in any way. 

Message 1 of 21
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Offline payments not uploading even though I’m connected to the internet now

Hi @thereyouglow & @Jennanigans68 - You can find out more information about Offline Payments here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5095

The article says, "Offline payments will appear as pending from your in-app payment history while your device is offline. When you’ve regained Internet connectivity, payments will show as completed and will be visible from your online Square Dashboard. Customers’ digital receipts and your payment notification emails will also be sent when the app is back online. Remember – you’ll have 72 hours to upload your offline payments."

Did you see your payments as pending in your in-app payment history while it was offline? 

1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

Offline mode is a risky feature to use depending on how you handle it.  You have 72 hours to get the device online which shouldn't be a problem at all to do especially now with free hotspots everywhere and tethering on most any smartphone.  You definitely need to collect as much info as possible for customers that you collect payments from in offline mode, because even if 99% get approved and 1% get declined that's a lot to lose.

Personally, I never use offline mode for our business and have it disabled for the very reason that I don't want something like this coming back to bite me, I feel the Cons outweigh the Pros.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5095

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Super Seller

Best Answer

Offline mode is a risky feature to use depending on how you handle it.  You have 72 hours to get the device online which shouldn't be a problem at all to do especially now with free hotspots everywhere and tethering on most any smartphone.  You definitely need to collect as much info as possible for customers that you collect payments from in offline mode, because even if 99% get approved and 1% get declined that's a lot to lose.

Personally, I never use offline mode for our business and have it disabled for the very reason that I don't want something like this coming back to bite me, I feel the Cons outweigh the Pros.

https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5095

Message 2 of 21

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Offline payments not uploading even though I’m connected to the internet now" The author has been notified via email.

I had an offline transaction today then when I was connected a few minutes later to wifi - it still wouldn’t upload. I’ve followed the listed advice: force quit app, turn device off and on. I know not to delete the app. I am now on my strong home wifi connection and it is still not up,oading. Please advise before the 72 hour period expires.

Message 3 of 21

I am having the exact same problem. I have a number of transactions that were taken in offline mode and now that I am conncected to wifi it still says there are offline payments that need to process. 

Is there a solution to this problem?

Message 4 of 21
Alumni

Hi @thereyouglow & @Jennanigans68 - You can find out more information about Offline Payments here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5095

The article says, "Offline payments will appear as pending from your in-app payment history while your device is offline. When you’ve regained Internet connectivity, payments will show as completed and will be visible from your online Square Dashboard. Customers’ digital receipts and your payment notification emails will also be sent when the app is back online. Remember – you’ll have 72 hours to upload your offline payments."

Did you see your payments as pending in your in-app payment history while it was offline? 

Message 5 of 21

Did you get this resolved successfully? The exact same thing happened to us today - lost about 40+ food orders @ $11.00 each - as they showed up as pending and then disappeared. Also, we did not delete the app, got online, waited for processing, and they went poof! The fact that they repeatedly say not to reinstall the app gives me (false?) hope that somewhere in the app (???) there's a place they "reside". Were you able to get your situation resolved satisfactorily?

Message 6 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi there, @bilyams - thanks for reaching out here!

Due to the time-sensitive nature of Offline Payments, if you have already tried the troubleshooting steps listed in this thread, we recommend reaching out to our Support Team immediately for further help.

We will keep an eye out for your contact!

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 7 of 21

Square! its super frustrating there is no one to help resolve this issue. Ive been a customer forever and I have a thousand dollars sitting in offline payments that are not uploading when connected to the internet. Clearly Square connected , took payments and the offline payments never resolved. I took the ipad home , connected it to wifi again and these payments are still NOT resolving, some are expiring with no resolution to this issue and only the ability to get a computer to chat with me. This has never happened before please advise. 

Message 8 of 21
Admin

Hey @missdoolittles!

Thanks so much for reaching out. 

Troubleshooting with offline mode payments can be very tricky. Please, whatever you do, do not delete and reinstall the app while you have payments pending in offline mode.

When did you take these payments? I'm asking as there is a 72 hour upload timeframe. 

Does the device you took payments on also have access to data or just wifi? Do you have the ability to connect to a hotspot or different wifi network so the payments can upload? 

Let me know, and otherwise, please give our Support Team a call right away, as this is very time sensitive. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!
Message 9 of 21

Thank you Isabelle, The device does not have Data. Apparently throughout the week the connection would occasionally get lost ( my receptionist is new and did not pick up on this) I did not pick up on it either because payments were going through daily but when it was reconnecting the offline payments were not being resolved. Some of these payments have expired. I brought the device home and connected it to my home wifi and the payments still did not resolve. Clearly week took the majority of our payments online but for some reason none of the offline payments will resolve. 

Message 10 of 21
Admin

Did you happen to call our Support Team this week @missdoolittles

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 11 of 21

Hi, just came back from a festival and 3K of my offline payments is gone... Please help!

Message 12 of 21
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Adrianna13 - Welcome to The Seller Community, it's always nice to see a new face 😊

I know how challenging this must be for you.

Due to the public nature of The Seller Community we are unable to access specific account details through The Community to sort through the details of these missing transactions. For assistance with your account, Feel free to send send a message using this contact form. Our support team will be happy to assist in resolving the matter on your account. Phone support is also available Monday - Friday 6 AM - 6 PM PST. The telephone number is (855)700-6000.

As always, feel free to stop by The Community with question, concerns and even feature requests. We are more than happy to assist.

Ria
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 13 of 21

Meaning the device would re connect and take payments these disconnects seem to be brief but have added up. I have previously thoughout my years with square had moments of disconnect but the offline payments always resolved when the device reconnected or I shut it off and turned it back on this has never happened. 

Message 14 of 21

Yes Ive tried emailing and calling but because I discovered the issue after hours Friday Ive got no response by tomorrow all of the $900 offline payments will expire. Truly sickening

Message 15 of 21
Admin

What time will they expire at @missdoolittles

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 16 of 21

many already expired the last of them will expire tomorrow afternoon

Message 17 of 21
Admin

I created a case with our Support Team - they will outbound call to the phone number you signed up with @missdoolittles. Please stay by your phone! 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 18 of 21

The only upside is Im in a business my clients are regular and I should be able to match the unpaid invoices which (I screen shot) to our shceduling software 

Message 19 of 21
Admin

@missdoolittles please private message me the number you are best reached at and I will try to escalate this to our Support Team for an outbound call.

Otherwise, we open at 6am Pacific Time tomorrow. 

️ Isabelle | she/her
Message 20 of 21

For those of you who are having trouble getting offline payments to process, I think I've found a way to get at least some of them to process.  This would only work if you have their name, but there might be around that too*.

On the device used to take the cards, go to Customers and find them by name. Click on their name (or each of them if they are duplicate). This should trigger the payment to process after a couple minutes.

I had 6 cc payments yesterday that didn't process and so far this morning I was able to get 5 of them to complete. I have the name for the last one but One of them had never been here before but his name did show up in my customer list. *So if you don't have a name for a payment, you can filter your customer list to show names that had never bought something before, go through each one, and it might trigger the payment to complete.

Hope this helps you!

Message 21 of 21