x

"Moto G5 Plus" compatibility ?

Has anyone here used 'Square' with the "Moto G5 Plus" smartphone? Square has not yet tested, so not on list. Thanks.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11

I have been trying to do either the magi strip card reader or the contactless card reader and have not been able to use either one of them with my g5. very frustrated. can someone advise?

Message 2 of 12

Hello @Ice and @claireware1, I can provide some clarification. 

Currently the Moto G5 and G5 plus are not listed on our Device Compatibility page. If your device isn't listed we can't promise our hardware will work with your device. 

If you still have questions please let me know! 

Message 3 of 12

Thanks , Chad. Understood, but this is a relatively new phone and  one of the support people at 'Square', mentioned that it might not have been tested yet. They did suggest downloading the APP as a first step, which went fine, but taking cards is another matter. It seems not to be able to do so.

Message 4 of 12

I got my g5 to work with the contactless card reader via Bluetooth and the swipe one in the earphone jack! Turned the phone on and off, reset all settings, but I think what worked was deleting and then reloading the app. Good luck!

Message 5 of 12

Ty, Clair. Just to be clear... You did not use WiFi, but Bluetooth instead and you took cards through the contactless card reader while the regular swipe card reader one was in the earphone jack, but not actually being used to swipe cards? If so, many thanks for solution to this problem. If not, please correct me. Thank you.

Message 6 of 12

No, I used the contactless chip reader with blue tooth for several sales but before I got it to work I tried swiping with the headphone jack attachment to see if that would work and it did. So separate devices for separate sales. On my iPhone there was a message that appeared when you plugged in the square swiped to the phone. On the motto there was no notification that the device was plugged in but I tried it anyway and it worked. It does notify you when the contactless chip card reader is connected however. Hope that clarifies.

Message 7 of 12

@Ice you're right, it is a new device and there is a chance it will be added to the list at a later date. 

@claireware1 thank you for sharing! Hopefully @Ice has a similar experience. 🤞

Message 8 of 12

I also was able to get the 'Moto G5 Plus' to work. Turned on "Bluetooth". Deleted and redownloaded the 'Squareup' APP. At first, no magstrip card would take. Then used "Contactless & Chip", which worked. Tried Magstrip again and that worked too, on second try. Thanks to Claireware for help.. 

Message 9 of 12

I don't ubderstand how you can say Square is untested on the MOTO g5 plus. I had my installed and working fine for over a year with no problems until the latest update, and now I have nothing because I thought the problem I had updating may be due to a corrupted file, so I deleted the app presuming that a fresh download may solve the problem, but no, and now I am out of business as far as taking credit cards.

Message 10 of 12
Alumni

Hi @RonM1947 - Sorry to hear about the trouble. It's entirely possible that our app and products will work with an untested device for some time, but because it is untested, we cannot guarantee that it will be compatible for a sustained period of time especially when new updates are introduced. For this reason, we always recommend checking our Device Compatibility list to ensure our Sellers don't run into these issues.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 11 of 12

I had the Square app on my phone and latest update would not download, so after trying multiple times to download, I gave up and deleted the app thinking it may have become corrupted, so now I don't have the app at all, because I still can't download it. Is there a remedy for this? Please help, as I use it almost daily.

Message 12 of 12