x
Square

An update on Square/Weebly's subscription service charges

Hello Weebly Community,

I’m here to share information about an important update to the following subscription services for those of you located in the European Union:

• Square Online plans
  • Weebly plans

The change will go into effect for all sellers in the EU subscribed to these plans on 1st October, 2021.

What’s the update?

From 1st October 2021 onward, we will start charging VAT on our subscription services being provided in the EU if a valid VAT ID number is not provided.

The change applies to the following subscription products: Square Online plans, and Weebly plans. 

Please provide us with your VAT ID number in your account settings by 1st October 2021. If we haven’t received a valid VAT number by 1st October 2021, we’ll start adding indirect tax to the subscription charge based on the EU rules .

For more information, please visit the corresponding EU country’s tax authorities website. 

How to add VAT ID

To add your VAT ID, click on the Update Billing Information link on the Square Online Overview page/Weebly dashboard and enter your VAT ID in the field provided.

Message 1 of 109
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hi everyone! There are two big questions that have come up so I'll provide answers for those here.

I don't have a VAT ID because I'm not a business. What does this mean?

This means you don't need to update your billing information, and we will start charging you VAT after October 1st. 

I don't have a link in my dashboard to update my billing information, but I need to add my VAT ID. What do I do?

Go to the payment methods page of your account , remove your billing method using red delete icon, then add a billing for your services on the services page of your account. You'll be able to enter your VAT ID while adding in a card.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 109
108 REPLIES 108

Hi, I received an email from Weebley saying :

We will be required to start charging VAT to our subscription services being provided in your geographical area if a valid VAT ID number is not provided. We appreciate if you could please provide us with VAT ID number by 1 octobre 2021. If we haven't received a valid VAT number by 1 octobre 2021, we'll start adding indirect tax to the subscription charge based on the laws of your geographical area.

But I can't find any places in my account to upgrade the VAT number. Can you help? Thank you

Message 2 of 109

I 'm following ... got the same problem ...
Message 2 of 109

Me too.

I have no company. So I have no VAT number ...

Message 2 of 109

Me too.

But I am thinking wheter it can be some kid of spam or something

When you click on the link, Google says the route is not valid

I seriously doubt Weebly would send this kind of message providing an invalid route that does not include any "weebly" mention in it

Message 2 of 109

Same here...

Message 2 of 109

I have the same and I don't sell anything on my site and I'm not in the EU. I've sent an email to support. I hope someone can let us know what's going on.

Message 2 of 109

I've received the e-mail. Could you please explain what that fee is for and what amount can be expected?The website I've created through Weebly is personal and I do not sell anything on it, so I do not have a VAT number. 

Message 2 of 109

Adam and Co!

I cannot see anywhere to add a VAT number - I have gone to the overview page and there is no field to add a Vat number. I have no stored payment method, is it possible it is added at payment renewal time or is the field somewhere else?

Thanks Mike

Message 2 of 109

I received the same email too. I think they will start charging VAT or the equivalent on subscriptions from November, if you live in Europe, and if you are unable to supply a VAT number. I live in the Canary Islands which is exempt anyway. The link in their email is invalid. It is a legitimate email from Weebly and not spam.

Message 2 of 109

I have exactly the same question, and I hope to get an answer. 

Message 2 of 109

Same here, @Adam can you or someone else from team clearify?

Greetings

Eyal

Message 2 of 109

Hi,

I do sell via my website, but its hardly anything and I would classify myself as a private individual and certainly not a Business.

I do NOT have a VAT number.

Why is this being forced on us surely its nothing to do with Weebly with reagrds to out VAT status.

The e-mail is poorly written and does not explain why or as people have pointed out, how much.

The checkout for me is broken anyway, and has a "bug" which I currently have no timeframe for when it will be fixed. If this is forced on me I will remove the e-commerce funtion of the website and ask for a refund.

Thanks

James

Message 2 of 109

Me too I received this email and I am not a company and I am US based and so there should be no VAT, I got this email from their European Dublin office. So, I called the toll free number but no one picks up. Weebly is becoming a annoying company to do business with.

Message 2 of 109

In the email I received I did find a link but I chose not to click it.

Message 2 of 109

I also got this email and can't do anything!! I will probably stop using weebly as it's a bull**bleep** company with no help support!! I have to go in here for answers!! **bleep** you weebly!!!
Message 2 of 109

Agreed - there need to be another channel in case of technical issues, at least for business websites. One can't wait days if something goes wrong ,with no means of direct assistance.

Message 2 of 109

Same problem over here! Some guidance would be nice ....

Message 2 of 109

Same question. I do have an EU VAT number and would like to add it, and I did receive the email, but I have two domains with Weebly and neither one show the update VAT number notice on the top as shown in the screen shot.

I have one stored payment method but going to the payment method section of the account settings does not have an edit button or field anywhere, you can only delete a stored payment method at the moment.

Some more specific guidance would be much appreciated.

Message 2 of 109

Hola, a mi también me ha llegado un correo diciendo que tengo que proporcionar un numero VAT. En un primer momento no sabía a que se refería, luego busqué en internet y se refiere al numero de IVA, que creo que es el DNI o NIF en España (si alguien lo sabe que me confirme por favor). 

En el correo había un enlace para proporcionar el numero VAT, pero pinchas en el y dice que la direccion no es válida. 

Espero que Weebly lo soluione y espero también una respuesta por su parte. 

Un saludo!!

Message 2 of 109

We have the same problem.

VAT is collected on commercial products or services and it is applied on their sale price. However, we do not sell anything.

Our websites provide free materials and are not used as online stores. In other words, we are not a business entity and, as a consequence, we are not VAT registered as such.

Besides, our country's (i.e. Greece) tax authority's website contains no information on this matter and we have not received any relevant notification from the Greek tax authorities.

In sum:

1) We cannot provide a VAT number, because we are not VAT registered as a business entity,

2) An indirect tax cannot be added to our subscription charge, because we do not act on a commercial basis and we do not participate in any commercial activity.

Message 2 of 109