x

How do I delete a category from the selections? How do I change/edit one?

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26

Hey there! Could you tell us a bit more about where the categories you'd like to edit are?

Message 2 of 27

the categories that can be created with a new post in Post Options. I see how to add new ones and assign existing ones to a post, but how do you edit the category - either delete it from the list or change the spelling/name of it?
Message 3 of 27

Hi there!

Unfortunately at this time there isn't a way to edit or delete them. You're more than welcome to request this feature be added on our feature request page! https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/idb-p/IdeaExchange

Sorry about that! Seems a little silly that you can't delete them, hopefully we will get that updated soon!

Message 4 of 27

Hi I was wondering when this problem could be fixed?

Message 5 of 27

If we are discussing blog categories, then it's a matter of removing that tag from every post that is in that category.

The category ceases to be if there is no post with that tag attached.

If you need to change the tag, such as for the spelling, then you would create the new tag, then go tag all the posts.

Message 6 of 27

I deleted all references to a category, when I click on it, no blog post appears but the category still remains.  Any updates on how to delete it?  This really should have an easy fix.

Message 7 of 27
Square

Have you re-published your whole site, @STEMAdvocates? That should remove the link from your sidebar.

Message 8 of 27

This is not only sad, but damaging, as I have made a spelling error which I cannot undo now.

Message 9 of 27

Hello! You should still be able to delete the tag from existing posts to remove the category itself.

Message 10 of 27

Maybe it is just the theme I am using, but I can change the category name by clicking once on the tag in the blog editor. That always me to rename or correct an error. Was looking for a way to delete some categories and came across this. Hope it helps someone. 

Message 11 of 27

Thank you for sharing that, Phil-24! It's certainly a useful shortcut.

Message 12 of 27

I would love this to be a new feature as I spent a great deal of time trying to muddle through this problem myself and called Keri at Weebly who said that this would be a wonderful feature for us users without having to call and go through a lengthy process.  It only took one misguided click to start this problem it would be great to have another click to solve it.

Message 13 of 27

I was hoping to do the same thing. I have one category with tons of blog posts tagged to it, but only just realized that I had slightly misspelled it's name. It would take me way too much time to untag all of the posts, and then create a new category to tag them all to. I am hoping Weebly soon adds a way to change a category name!

Message 14 of 27

Typos are always the worst like that. We'll certainly be bearing this one in mind! If you can, you may also want to stop by the Vote on Features section to weigh in on blog categories.

Message 15 of 27

Has this issue been fixed yet? It's really one that would be useful for those of us with historical blog posts that we'd like to re-arrange/re-categorise. 

thanks!

Message 16 of 27
Square

The method of deleting or changing blog categories hasn't been updated, @AGX. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Message 17 of 27

I'm also throwing in my hat on this - it NEEDS to be fixed. 

Message 18 of 27

It's been almost 2 years! Yet it hasn't fixed! Why?!!

This is so frustrating. I want to chage one of my tag's name.

Well, it did change after I edited it.

But the prob. is I can not use that tag on other "new" post.

It will duplicated it twice! (WHAT a heck?!)

Now I have two same tags in my category list.

One is the older one after editing, another pop out eventually after I use "that" tag in the newer post.

I have 10 old posts and 3 newer posts need to use that tag. What should I do? UNDO the tag in all those 10 posts, then create a new tag, and re-tag all 13 of them? Or leave 2 same tag name on the list? That is halarious.

Fix it, please!

This is so annoying! And so unconvinient!

This happens A LOT.

Are you telling me that this problem need more than 2 years to get fixed?

Message 19 of 27
Square

Sorry for the frustration. If you change a tag's name it will update the other posts with the same tag. It shouldn't be duplicating if you try to use the new tag with a new post, though. Or maybe I'm not quite understanding your question.. Can you post the url to a sample blog post, please? Thanks so much!

Message 20 of 27

This is the website I'm working on
http://homurafox.weebly.com/create-corner

The catagory is on the right column.

These are the two same tags.

Message 21 of 27