x

Square Online Store vs Regular Site - What Functionality Differs Between Them?

I am investigating using Weebly to create an online store for a prospective client. The client will most likely want a custom design and features, so being able to directly edit the HTML and CSS is important. The code editor shown in the Weebly documentation looks perfectly capable of enabling this:

https://dev.weebly.com/pf_themes_start.html

However, after some searching I discovered that this editor (and the drag-n-drop editor) is only available on websites NOT using the Square Online Store:

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Site-Editor/How-do-I-get-the-drag-and-drop-site-editor/td-p/135042

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Site-Editor/Two-different-editors/td-p/136000

Is there a way to create custom elements inside a Square website? If I create a standard Weebly website instead, what features will I lose? Will I still be able to re-create a similar online store experience even if it requries more setup and effort?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

Hi @Cjsheaf There isn't a way to create custom elements on the Square store, although I believe that is something that is being worked on. If you create a site on the older editor you will still have all of the same store functions, but some may not work as well as they would on the Square store. i.e. product syncing and multi location pickup options. What store functions will your client need?

Message 7 of 6

My client only needs basic store features right now. Mainly product listing, inventory, and payment processing.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to create a new website that does not use Square and the new editor. Every new site I create using this account automatically defaults to them. Is there a guide somewhere that shows how to create a website which will use the older, more powerful editor?

Message 7 of 6
Square

Try making a new account, @Cjsheaf, and say that you don't want to sell online (don't worry, you still have access to all of the store features when you do this - it just changes what we walk you through when creating your first site).

Message 7 of 6

While creating a new account like you describe works, it's hardly an ideal situation.

How can I create a regular Weebly website under my primary account (this account)? I would strongly prefer to associate the website with the email address that is bound to this account, instead of associating it with one of my alternate emails. It sounds like a modification of the Weebly UI is needed to present the same choice (sell online or don't sell online) for creating subsequent new websites.

Message 7 of 6
Square

It wouldn't be possible to convert your account, though you could change the email address on it to something else. Once you've done that then you could change the email address on your new account to the one you prefer for your primary account.

Message 7 of 6