x

Trying to point my domain name to my Weebly site

Hi guys.  I've lodged a help ticket days ago but have yet to receive any reply.  In fact, the original ticket was changed to "Solved", when it's anything but.  I've paid for my yearly plan and I really need to launch my site so looking for anyone in the community to help.

I have an existing domain name registered elsewhere.  So upon clicking Publish, I selected the option to change the DNS settings myself via the domain registrar.  I've done this in the past with another site (and another registrar), however this time seems quite confusing.  Weebly have just given me the IP address I need to point to.  But on the page of my domain registrar, there seem to be other details required too.

Firstly, there are spaces for 3 Domain Servers.  Each with a default value in them as follows:

• Name server 1:  ns3.partnerconsole.net
  • Name server 1:  ns-1.ezyreg.com
  • Name server 1:  ns-2.ezyreg.com

There is instructional text stating: "Point your domain to your website or web hosting space".  What Weebly identifier is supposed to go in any of these fields?  An IP address is invalid here.  So what else do I put here?

Then further down the page on my domain registrar page, there is a section "Host Records".  Is this the same as where Weebly tells me "Create 2 A-Records to point to Weebly's IP address"??

I can create an entry with 2 parameters; "Host Name" and "IP Address".  Obviously the IP address Weebly gave me goes in the IP address field here.  But do I simply put my domain name in the Host Name field?

In regards to the Weebly guidance that states:  "Create 2 A-Records to point to Weebly's IP address", which is then followed by these examples:

• For the first "A Record", there is a Host value which is supposed to be "The root of your domain (usually identified by a @ or * symbol)".  Does this mean I simply put a '@' or a '*' as the value here?  Tried that.  Syntax error!
  • The second "A record" is supposed to have "www" in the Host field.  I assume this is no different to what I have already put here as my domain name.  
  • Then it has a 3rd parameter "Points to", and lists the IP address I'm to put there.  This is probably the only parameter I can clearly see a match for between the Weebly instructions and what's on my domain reg screen.

Can someone please help??  Very grateful in advance!!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Square

These might actually better asked of your domain registrar, since they can go in and actually help change the DNS records for you. You do want to leave your nameservers the same and add specific A records, though. I would show your current registrar our guide on this - they should know exactly what to do with that info:

http://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/201372693-How-to-Use-a-Domain-You-Purchased-Elsewhere

Message 3 of 2