x

Reader in update loop (Contactless + Chip Reader hardware)

Hello,

I haven't used my reader since 2020 (thanks Covid) but I went to set it up on my phone (Pixel 6) today and the app is stuck in a continuous "reader update" loop. It gets to 100%, says it is connected to the reader and then a second later goes back into update mode.
I've done multiple restarts (phone and device), removed and re-added the app, cleared cache on the bluetooth & reconnected, full charge etc. 
Basically everything I could find here: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5673-square-contactless-and-chip-card-reader-troubleshooting

Does anyone have other ideas before I try getting tech on the phone?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10

Hi, 

Exactly the same thing with my reader! It shows on the phone it is installed and updated, but it never stops updating !! It keeps going and going. Does anyone have any solutions as to what I can try to fix this problem?  I would appreciate it.

Message 2 of 11

Sadly I didn't get any replies/messages.
I went digging through the old threads and the only resolution posted was buying a new reader (after they called tech for troubleshooting). Unfortunately I couldn't wait to troubleshoot further as I have a market this weekend so I just bought a new device. It's arriving today, I'm hopeful to not have the same issue.

Message 3 of 11
Square Community Moderator

Hey there @TRPhotography,

Sorry you have not been assisted with this issue! I know dealing with hardware issues is annoying, and not being supported even more so.

Rght now on our Compatibility Page I see we go up to Pixel 5, and that is supported with the contactless reader. But I don't see specifically pixel 6. https://squ.re/3NzGx51 

If you have gone through all these troubleshooting steps then lets go ahead and replace the reader. And if the issue still is happening then have our team take further look into it. You can reach support at 1-855-700-6000 squ.re/contactsqsupport .

Sorry I was not much help! Please let me know if anything else is needed. 

Message 4 of 11

Hi MAYAP, 
I purchased a new device after trying the troubleshooting steps and unfortunately this new device also appears to be stuck in the update loop. I will run through the troubleshooting page again, this time on the new device, and then call tech. 

Message 5 of 11

May have been too quick, it's finally connected without an update loop. It does disconnect and reconnect a lot but I was able to put through a tap and chip test charge so I'm hopeful that it will continue to function properly during my event. I'll reboot my phone overnight and test it again tomorrow just to be sure.

Message 6 of 11

Dang, I was hoping the warranty would resolve this issue! 

I am thinking this might be a compatibility issue with your phone. You are using Google Pixel 6 correct? 

I will investigate this further and see if I can get some confirmation. 

Thank you for your patience, and working with us to resolve this. I know this is really frustrating! 

Message 7 of 11

Possible issue with the Pixel 6 perhaps (Pixel 6, Android v.12) on the connectivity side (staying connected).
I've restarted my phone this morning and was able to get it to connect to the reader without starting an update loop.  I'm hoping the issue is corrected now that I have a new reader.
Thank you for following up on this MAYAP

Message 8 of 11

@TRPhotography I reached out to an additional support team to see if they have seen this be a known issue. I will reach out if I have more insight. 

But fingers crossed it is working now as you said after restarting the phone!

Let us know if anything else is needed! 

Message 9 of 11

I am having exactly the same issue!  It has been in a loop for two and a half days now!  My phone is a Samsung A8(2018) which is supposed to be compatible.  The reader used to work just fine.  It's not like the first time I've used it!  It's extremely frustrating as it decided not to work while at a festival on Saturday!!  The hardware should last for more than a year or two.  Ridiculous!

Message 10 of 11

Hey there @Sharlee

While we aim to make our hardware durable, electronics do can fail with or without symptoms. If you haven't done so yet I suggest you complete our Troubleshooting Steps, particularly the Reset Reader process if that doesn't help then one last thing you could try is pairing with a different device to discard the possibility of your Samsung Device having trouble pairing with our reader.

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 11 of 11