x
Beta Member

Square for retail chip & swipe problems

1. When a chipped card is dipped, it will not begin processing in Square for Retail as it did in the former Square system. We must first hit charge. If the customer has inserted their card, we must have the remove the card and then wait for us to go to the charge screen then they can dip. Completely annoying and not what I'd expect from a "premium" retail POS solution.

2. From actions, when swiping gift cards--whether it's to check a balance or sell new--cards will not swipe. This is likely a mag stripe issue with Square for Retail. Gift card numbers have to be manually entered. Again, a return to horse and carriage while using a "premium" paid service.

What you got, Square Support?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

Hello @redstickspice

For your first issue, the case is the same for Square Point of Sale. To process a chip card in our Contactless and Chip Card Reader it will require you to hit charge first. Also the customer shouldn't have to remove their card if it was inserted before you hit charge. You can swipe a card through a magstripe reader without having to hit charge on the Square Stand. 

The issue your experiencing with the gift card sounds like their might be an issue with the gift card itself. You can swipe a gift card to check the balance or sell a new card using Square for Retail. Is there any chance that the card you were using was demagnetized? 

I'll keep an eye out for your reply! 

Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

No. The card-nor the 30+ cards we tested-are de-magnetized. Nor is it the iPad we are using, as we tested the cards in Square on the same iPad. And every card swiped perfectly. Both Square and Square for Retail are installed on the same piece of hardware. Now that we've eliminated operator error (as I clearly pointed out in the initial post), let's establish that this is a Square for Retail issue.

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

Your chip dipping response is incorrect as well. I'll send you guys pictures and videos of our experience so that you can do your job. thanks

Message 4 of 5

@redstickspice okay, I'll wait for your example video. 

Feel free to @ mention me in your post. 

Message 5 of 5