x

USB Printer not Working

I’m having troubles connecting my Star TSP143IIIU receipt printer to my Square Stand. I have everything hooked up into my USB hub and my debit card reader is hooked in the same way and is working fine. I tried troubleshooting it for hours but just can’t seem to figure it out. My cash drawer connects through my receipt printer as well, so neither product is connecting properly. My printer has the “error” light lit up as soon as it turns on, I have no idea what is wrong. I know it can’t be the hub itself, since the debit card reader is working. I’ve tried switching the USB plugs around, turning things off and on, made sure both my iOS and square app are up to date, nothing is working. Any suggestions on what to do next?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square Community Moderator

Hey @SeadogsSauna and welcome to the Community.

This sounds very odd. Judging by all of the troubleshooting steps you've listed it could be one of three things. 

1. The USB hub that the accessories plug into might have been compromised. This would explain why both printers are not working. 
  2. The Square Stand is having trouble connecting to the USB hub. If your iPad is still charging this likely isn't the case. 
  3. There could be a glitch that's causing the printer to not be recognized. 

I recommend reaching out directly to our Support Team if you haven't already. They will be able to look into the last one on their end. Or they can set you up with a new USB hub. 

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 6

Since the Card Reader is hooked up through the USB Hub and is still working I don’t think it’s the hub itself that’s the problem. I tried switching which USB the two products were plugged into and in all cases the card reader worked, but the printer never did. The iPad is still charging, which is good. 

I’ll have to try to contact Square directly, hopefully they’ll be able to help me, thank you Ashley.

Message 3 of 6

That is super odd @SeadogsSauna. Glad everything else is still working though!

Have you already went through all these troubleshooting steps too?

Ashley C
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 4 of 6
Beta Member

I am suddenly having this exact problem today.

Were you able to get your printer connected again?

Message 5 of 6

Hi @MonicasAttic,

Sorry to hear you are having some printer issues too!

I just want to confirm we have tried these trouble shooting steps?

1. Ios is to updated

2. App is updated

3. Deleting and reinstalling the app

4. Delete and recreate printer stattion

5. Restarting the Stand: Settings > Hardware > Square Stand > Restart Stand 

6. Removing the ipad and restarting the ipad

7. Testing another usb device, like cell phone charger on hub to see if it can charge the device

If these steps did not work please go ahead and contact our support team . They can further assist, file a ticket if needed. You can reach direct support at 855-809-9000 /  squ.re/contactsqsupport

Message 6 of 6