x

How do I change background color of a page of my site?

[Note: The title of this post has been edited by a moderator.]

Hi, saw someone elses post on this but no answer.  I made a new page and it defaulted to white page with black text.  But I want that to be a black page with different color text (like white, or yellow, etc.)  How do I do that?  Isn't there a simple edit button for this without having to install widgets or css stuff?  Seems like a basic function, but can't find it.  Thanks!

Message 1 of 29
1 Best Answer
Square

Best Answer

Hey again @Dukedukenson!

If you want to do the backgroudn of the whole page, the only way to do that currentl is to customize your theme and change the background color there, although I'd only advise that if you familiar with editing CSS already.  You can change font colors by going to the Themes tab and clicking on Change Fonts, though. If you're comfortable working with CSS please see this guide for more info on editing your theme.

If you want to change the background of sections, though, then do the following:

• For the classic Weebly drag and drop editor, click on the section, then click on the "Edit Background" link at the bottom of the section. 
  • With the Square Online editor, click on the section, then check the Section Style panel on the left and use the background option there.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 29
28 REPLIES 28
Square

Best Answer

Hey again @Dukedukenson!

If you want to do the backgroudn of the whole page, the only way to do that currentl is to customize your theme and change the background color there, although I'd only advise that if you familiar with editing CSS already.  You can change font colors by going to the Themes tab and clicking on Change Fonts, though. If you're comfortable working with CSS please see this guide for more info on editing your theme.

If you want to change the background of sections, though, then do the following:

• For the classic Weebly drag and drop editor, click on the section, then click on the "Edit Background" link at the bottom of the section. 
  • With the Square Online editor, click on the section, then check the Section Style panel on the left and use the background option there.
Message 2 of 29

I've done this.  Click on the Themes tab.  See those seven dots of different colors?  From left to right on the top row, the 2nd, 4th and 5th dots change the background to black.  I have not been able to identify the difference between all these dots, but I've at least been able to set a black background for my website.

Message 3 of 29

Hey there!

Some themes will indeed invert the background in that way, though the selection will vary depending on the theme you pick. Beyond the pre-set color schemes you see there, however, you'd need to use CSS to change the color. If one of the sets suits your needs, though, definitely put it to use! You can change the font color and other details under the Themes menu as well, as you may have already seen.

Message 4 of 29

Shame on you, Adam and other Weebly designers! You provide an environment for people to build their pages "without needing to know how to code" but such a BASIC function as changing background is NOT available? And you even suggest that USERS change the code themselves??? If it IS so easy, why don't YOU provide this simple function that all other tools have?

Message 5 of 29

Are you really saying that to change the background color on a single page you should have special knowledge skills? Isn't the point of this service to provide access for people with no previous web building skills? Changing background colors seems like a basic request. Am I misunderstanding this? I have been trying to figure this out as well. I thought (hoped) it would be something simple like changing backgrounds on a power point slide. Is nothing like that available?

Message 6 of 29

Hey there!

If you're using our Sections-enabled themes (which, at this point, is almost all of the current themes), you should be able to click the section you're working on, and click Edit Background to set it as you'd like. Where are you running into trouble?

Message 7 of 29

Hi Queso!  thank you for the clear directions.  And especially thank you for this improvement!  

Message 8 of 29

Can you explain what "section-enabled" themes means please?

Message 9 of 29
Square

All of the of our responsive themes are section-enabled themes - this means that they can all use the Sections element:

https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/227027928-Adding-Sections-to-Your-Pages

If you don't see the sections element, it means that you're using a customized theme or an older, non-responsive theme.  You'll have two options in that case: switch to a newer theme, or customize your current theme to add in support:

https://dev.weebly.com/create-the-html-layout-templates.html

Message 10 of 29

Here is small video instruction what demonstrates how to change background color in weebly platform:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U196qwAgOSw

Message 11 of 29

Is it possible to change the background colour for all pages? I've been changing the colour on each page separately. If there's a way to assign one background colour for all the pages, that would save me a lot of time. Thanks.

Message 12 of 29
Square

If it's a header section (which you'd have on any page using the "header" page type), you can save that to multiple pages.  See this article in our Help Center for instructions:

https://hc.weebly.com/hc/en-us/articles/227030508-Create-a-Flexible-Header

Message 13 of 29

It isn't a header page. I just have a title and a text box on most of my pages.
Message 14 of 29
Square

You can also copy regular elements, although it's to a single page at a time. Mouse over an element and click on the arrow on the top right. You should see a copy option there.

Message 15 of 29

Hi,

I contacted the Weebly help desk about the background colour on my site all of a sudden changing itself from white to grey. So far they have been incredibly unhelpful. After having a play about and click around I have come across what you have put in your post which is really helpful, thank you. However this doesnt seem to work on category pages or in my store. I have tried using the colour block but this only works for part of the page. My nice white pictures look a bit rubbish against the random grey background. Is there anything I can do?

Thanks

Message 16 of 29

Regarding these sections, is it possible to add colour to the bottom line of each section? I'm working on a website with white background and several sections. I'd like to make the lines/space between the sections black (or something) else to split them up visually without having to colour the entire section. Is it possible via CSS?

Message 17 of 29
Square

I'm sure that's possible via CSS to add a bottom border to all sections. I believe they all share a class name so it would just be a matter of adding a style rule for that.

Message 18 of 29

Can someone please respond to this for us non-techy people?

All I want to do is change the background color on my pages. If I understand this correctly, I either have to use code (I have no knowledge base on how to do that) or use a different template. If I use a new template, will my existing pages be imported directly? Or will I have to recreate them from scratch? 

Message 25 of 29
Square

If you switch to a different theme, all your content remains intact. The only part that would not are header images since those are saved to a specific theme.

Message 25 of 29

So as a follow-up on my original question, which themes will allow me to change the background color of individual pages? 

Message 25 of 29