x

How to change or add a site background image

How does one change the website background.  Been a few years since I worked with weebly.  There used to be a menu item to add or change the background image for the whole site.  Now it looks as if I have to insert html code, which is silly, but I can't be sure.  Can someone please point me to documentation that tells me how to do what should be a simple operation?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Here's the answer:

You can only change the site background image or color if the theme allows it.  I'm sure a developer could manipulate this by editing the css/html code of the theme, but if you know enough about css and html to do that, why would you use a builder?

Otherwise, you have to deal with having a header background, then content background, then footer background.  There might be a theme with an option to make the header transparent, but since weebly forces theme browing by category and doesn't allow someone to browse through all themes (have y'all not heard of "next page"??), and since they don't allow you to filter the themes by feature, there's no way to know if a theme allows for something as simple as a site background until you choose the theme.  I didn't think anything could be more frustrating than wordpress for a "non-coder"...but I was wrong.

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Square

You don't need to code anything to change the background of a section. Are you using a custom theme right now with your site? It looks like it might be broken from what I see in the editor, although I'm not sure if I'm looking at the site you are editing. Go to the Theme change, click on Change Theme, then choose a standard theme. Once you've done that, click on a section and you'll see an Edit Background option on the bottom of the section.

Message 7 of 6

Thanks much, Adam.  I'm not looking to change/add a background image for just a section.  I'd like to change/add a background image for the whole page, and for every page on the site, that will "cover" the page, including the header. 

Message 7 of 6

Best Answer

Here's the answer:

You can only change the site background image or color if the theme allows it.  I'm sure a developer could manipulate this by editing the css/html code of the theme, but if you know enough about css and html to do that, why would you use a builder?

Otherwise, you have to deal with having a header background, then content background, then footer background.  There might be a theme with an option to make the header transparent, but since weebly forces theme browing by category and doesn't allow someone to browse through all themes (have y'all not heard of "next page"??), and since they don't allow you to filter the themes by feature, there's no way to know if a theme allows for something as simple as a site background until you choose the theme.  I didn't think anything could be more frustrating than wordpress for a "non-coder"...but I was wrong.

Message 7 of 6

My first inclination is to ask why go from difficult editing to nearly impossible editing.

Not to mention how difficult it is just find help.

Have you seen a better way to globally edit the background since your post?

Thankls

Message 7 of 6

Adam. I don't think this answers the question which was about a global background change, not a section by section change.

Message 7 of 6