x

Importing blog posts from WordPress

I'm redesigning a site for a client, and would like to know the best way to import their old blog posts. For timesaving and SEO purposes, I'm really hoping I don't have to manually copy-paste each one, because the posts go back years, and re-posting 100's of blogs all having the same date on the new site looks funny. They do have an RSS feed, if that helps.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12

Hello! Sorry for the trouble, we don't currently have a built-in transfer tool for blog posts.

Message 14 of 13

Bummer - since WordPress was built around blogs, Weebly would gain some market share if it were able to allow people more power to move away from WordPress. Thanks for the reply though.

Message 14 of 13

Is there no plan to add a function to import blogs from other sites?
Those who already operate other sites (especially those who want to move from WordPress to Weebly and want to operate the site) will not move to Weebly without the import function.

Message 14 of 13

@omegacchi No plans at this time. But, we are always welcome to feature requests here:
https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/idb-p/IdeaExchange

Message 14 of 13

This feature's importance is going to be under represented in the new ideas section. In 2 weeks, after I have imported my 100-plus blogs, I will not care about this feature.

Having said that, for Weebly sake this is an important feature even though it won't be up folded very often. The people that want the feature don't have accounts yet and don't know about up voting.

In my opinion, you all should look into making this happen for the thousands of people that want to transfer to Weebly but are not going to because of the lack of this feature.

I already know how great Weebly is so I am transferring anyway. Even with the extra 40 hours of work.

Message 14 of 13
Square

Thanks for the feedback @StevenDodge. We appreciate it. Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 13

Wait, is the blog really limited to ten blog posts?

Message 14 of 13
Square

No, you can have an unlimited number of posts on a blog page. You are limited to 10 different blog pages, although I don't think very many sites would need that many different blogs on just one single site.

Message 14 of 13

I have a blog on Blogger going back from 2009.  I switched to Wordpress in 2015, and hated it so much, I abandoned blogging all together.

I'm looking to get back into the game with a new website and after hours of research, I thought Weebly would be best for me.

But no import function?

I have hundreds of posts heavy with pictures and there just aren't enough hours in the day to re do them all.  Shame......

Message 14 of 13
Square

Unfortunately, no. Sorry about that, @lcotturo! I can totally understand how useful and needed that would be.

Message 14 of 13

I'm now facing the same issue. I have a potential client that has a WP blog but is interested in moving to Weebly. I assume this feature hasn't been added yet?

From a design and functionality POV, do you think it would work to keep the blog on WP but create the other pages on Weebly? Then the Blog menu button could link directly to the WP site. I don't know how WP works, but I assume there could be a way to link back to Weebly, don't you think? Do you think this would be too clunky of an option? 

Message 14 of 13
Square

I think that would work just fine, @ReadySetGoWeb You can even set the navigation link to open in a new tab so that it is easier for the user to navigate back to the website. 

Message 14 of 13