x

Parallax and reveal scrolling effects aren't right

I'm trying to use parallax scrolling effects on some of my backgrounds. However, the "parallax" effect provided is actually a reveal – the image stays motionless while section scrolls over it. With a parallax effect, the background should move, but more slowly than the content in front of it.

Meanwhile, the "reveal" effect does absolutely nothing – it's no different from the "none" setting.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this a bug?

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Square

I believe that's how it's supposed to function, @JeremyD. If you'd like something changed with that you're welcome to post that to our Vote on Features board.

Message 13 of 12

Thanks for your reply. To be clear, you're saying that the Reveal option is intended to do nothing? Weebly gives these three options:

As it stands, "Reveal" does exactly the same as "None". That's really how it's meant to work?

Message 13 of 12

@JeremyD:  The reveal option works fine whenever I have used it.  Remember it works only when you scroll and also at the first page load.  If you are using that option near the top of the website it may not work - it needs some content on the top for the scroll reveal to work.

Message 13 of 12

I've tried Reveal in various locations, including low down on long pages, and it does nothing. I just get a fixed image.

Message 13 of 12
Square

Can you give a link to the page on which you added it?

Message 13 of 12

@JeremyD: If and when you post the link tell us if you have customized your theme?

Message 13 of 12

I've done some further experiments, and discovered that I'm not doing anything wrong. This is the intended behaviour:

"Parallax" lacks the usual functionality, where the background scrolls more slowly than the foreground. Instead, the background is fixed in place.

"Reveal" simply displays the background image a fraction of a second before the content materialises. There is no way to customise the materialisation (e.g. make it slower, or make it delay until the whole section is in frame), so it's easy to not notice that it's occurring.

Message 13 of 12

@JeremyD:  What you are looking for in parallax is bit advanced and so is the reveal effect.  Both of them can be achieved with some custom coding though.

Message 13 of 12

Can you please provide how to achieve a true "3d" parallax effect with coding? Thanks!
Message 13 of 12
Square

Unfortunately I can't help you with custom coding, but maybe there is a non-employee in the community that would be able to assist. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 12
Square

@JeremyD

The reveal will also give a slight load delay with the content. If you put a Title or Text element into the header you will see what I mean. @bobafett is also correct in it's only going to be on the first page load. Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 12