x

Weebly causing EU clients legal & commercial troubles with its STANDARD cookie banner text

Your standard cookie banner text is causing your EU clients a lot of legal and commercial risks. You are basically telling your client's visitors what your client is targeting with cookies, which is totally unacceptable. 

We do not do what you claim we do with the cookies. We have not authorized Weebly to tell things on behalf of us.

You do not have the right to push this text to every website as every business' cookie practices are different. 

A Cookie Banner Text CANNOT be be standard. You need to enable customization immediately (as was available before).

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4

I totally agree with you. Every website owner has 100% legal responsibility for all text written on his website. It is not acceptable that someone else implements a non customizable cookie banner with wrong information about the website. 

Another problem is, that the Banner disappears if a visitor follows the link to the "cookie policy". I see three scenarios:

1) the visitor wants to read the cookie policy before he accepts and follows the link - but he cannot accept anymore because the optin Banner is gone by following the link. This may be GPDR compliant but the impossibility of opting can cause other problems.

2) the visitor clicks "I accept" without knowing the cookie policy. The question is if this is GDPR compliant - because he did not have the possibility to get informed before accepting, even if he would have wanted. (see 1)

3) the visitor does not notice the cookie banner (that appears only on first page of visit) and switches to the next page (where it is not displayed anymore) So he does not know that he could have acceptet something. If he realises that some features of the website do not work, he has no possibility to opt in later. 

Message 6 of 5
Square

@sailingteam @gipsie

Pretty sure I've tagged you both this message on different threads, but I noticed the Settings page in the editor has some additional content. Not sure if either of you had noticed this yet. 

Message 6 of 5

@Bernadette 

I have noticed some hours ago that the banner text is customizable now.

It is good to see improvements and hope for more to come ... 

Message 6 of 5
Square

Agree 100%

Message 6 of 5