x

Width Height Attributes

The SEO report is telling me that I need to add width and height attributes to every single one of my photos. I'm confused, I'm still learning how to use Weebly. I assumed the image size was automatically determined by the actual file size as well as modifications based on whichever element I use to upload and place the photos within the builder? I'm not understanding what the point of the drag n drop elements are for if I have to manually write code for every single photo...and there are many.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Square

What report are you looking at? Width and Height attributes can make a difference in the way a page visually loads, but I don't see how that would make a difference in terms of SEO.

Message 2 of 17

Hello Adam,

The app that is installed is MarketGoo. On the dashboard it basically does a scan of my website and tells me things like major keywords to use for my specific content, whether my titles are too long, if I am missing meta tags etc.

It is saying I have 70+ photos that are missing width height attributes. I have well over that in my "product pages" so I'm thinking that it is referring to the photos and slide shows on my web pages. Is there a tutorial that specifically addresses how to add these attributes to images?

Message 3 of 17

Hi Adam,

I realize I am replying to an older question, but I am having this very same issue.

The SEO Market Goo report says; We've found 686 images that don't have height and width attributes.

I cannot find anything in this forum on how to fix it. There is an old link in one of these answers, but it doesn't work.

Can you please shed any light on this issue?

My website is www.WhynotPromoShop.com

Thank you!

Tanya

Message 5 of 17

@Lisa46360

@Adam

Interesting - take a look at this item....

https://yoast.com/image-seo/

Message 5 of 17
Square

Thanks for sharing, @NJRFTF. Interesting read!

Message 6 of 17

I glance through it briefly and will have to have a more in depth reading later thanks for sharing. I have the file names and alt text down pat, at least I know they ar necessary and this is fairyll easy to accomplish.

I also understand how a file size could be an issue. My main issue is that if I am using a drag n drop element to place the pictures shouldn't the images automatically be shrunk or optimized? I am going to stock A LOT of products in my store...1,000's. It seems and impossible task to manually have to go in and add these attributes which at the present time I don't even have a clue how to do it.

I'm really hoping that the height and width attributes does not apply to all of the items in the product pages!! Is there a tutorial specific to Weebly explaining this more?

Message 7 of 17
Square

Product pages include images in a different way because of the zoom feature, so I don't know that it would be an issue with those. Did MarketGoo specify which images were missing the attributes, and what page they were on?

Message 8 of 17

Having the same exact issue with Weebly.   Marketgoo tells me I need to add heght and width attributes.   But there is very littly information to be had about how to accomplish this.   Do I have to write code?   What is the ideal height and width?   I have allready resized the images once.   

Thanks,

Ron

Message 9 of 17
Square

It depends on what they want you to add them to, although that would be adding code, yes. Depending on what it is they want you to add it to it might not actually be possible.

Message 10 of 17

I'm having the same issue with height and width attributes. Given that not having these slows down our sites, which negatively affects clients' likelihood of staying, can Weebly please tell us how to fix this?

Message 11 of 17

this is one extremely annoying features of this template. We should be allowed to use exact size images for many reasons in addition to SEO.

Message 13 of 17

I am having the same issue. 

C'mon Weebly. Give us fix or at least tell Marketgoo to give us a fix.

Message 18 of 17
Square

Very sorry for the frustration, @fnb598ec. It looks like there is a feature request submitted for this. If you haven't already added your support could you please add a kudo and leave a comment about how this affects you. This is really helpful for us in getting these requests in front of the development team. Thanks so much!

https://community.weebly.com/t5/Vote-on-Features/SEO-Options-MarketGoo-scores-are-being-hurt-due-to-...

Message 18 of 17

Hi Bernadette,

How can we access the idea as it is not directing to the idea but rather the ideas list. 

Thanks!

Message 18 of 17

Hi @fnb598ec @Evaristocroix,

I do understand the frustrations this would cause. This is something I will personally bring up with our app team and try to see if we can reach out to marketgoo about this. They are suggesting something to our users that can't be physically done on our system. 

Coming from an SEO standpoint, the request isn't very valid. What they are trying to suggest is that it's better to have a width and height attribute on your images, to ensure you are not loading the full size of the image, which would slow down the load speeds. With weebly, we have responsive coding, so our width and height adjustment is placed within the CSS file and not inlined with the HTML. What this means is what they are asking you to do isn't really valid. 

I agree this is confusing and should be looked at. Thank you all for your feedback. I will direct this problem to the appropriet channel to see if we can come up with a viable solution. 

Message 18 of 17

Just had the same issue and read up on this thread - yes, if this doesn't actually matter for SEO, it would be good if Market Goo could match their suggestions to things that can actually be implemented in Weebly. I also went through a similar process for their recommendation on adding H1 tags, though that was possible through an available extension.

Thanks!

Message 18 of 17