x

How to locate and refund a cash transaction?

We track inventory on every item.

When a customer wants to return an item that was paid for with cash, how do we easily locate that and refund them, assuring that the item being returned is "added" back into the stock count?

Message 1 of 8
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi @kenny 

Great question, and welcome to the Seller Community 🙌🏼

Cash payments are a bit more difficult to locate since you're not able to use a card number to search. 

The best way would be to use the time and amount of the payment in your Transactions Tab of your Square Dashboard. 

You can drill down your transactions by date and time and issue the refund from here as well. 

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 8
7 REPLIES 7

Best Answer

Hi @kenny 

Great question, and welcome to the Seller Community 🙌🏼

Cash payments are a bit more difficult to locate since you're not able to use a card number to search. 

The best way would be to use the time and amount of the payment in your Transactions Tab of your Square Dashboard. 

You can drill down your transactions by date and time and issue the refund from here as well. 

Message 2 of 8

Thanks for the reply. 

Even IF we were to locate their cash transaction and refund it properly, would it add that item(s) back into inventory if tracked?

Within the 'activity' section, I'd like to recommend searching for activity date and product search. This would help find these kinds of transactions more easily. 

Thanks. 

Message 3 of 8

@kenny Inventory is not automatically adjusted for refunds and returns, so you'll need to adjust your inventory manually on your end whenever an item is returned or exchanged. 

Being able to search for the product and date would help a lot when it comes to cash refunds. I'll let our Product Team know that you'd like to see this built out in future updates 👍🏼

Message 4 of 8

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Return without receipt

If a customer paid cash, and we don't have their name in our system, then what?  Our receipts state that a receipt must be present with a return but there may be a rare case when we need to return or exchange without a receipt.  For example: a customer might want to exchange an item for a different size.  The next size bigger may be $2 more so they need to pay for that.  How can we process that thorugh the Square app?

Message 5 of 8
Super Seller

Is there a way to return an item without a reciept or customer?  In the case where the item was purchased with cash, and there is not a name on the customer.  Is there a way to search for the transaction by item?  Or a way to do a cash refund with an original transation?

Message 6 of 8
Admin

@AmyS @MichiganFarmsta You can definitely issue a refund for cash transactions. But you're right, without the receipt or customer information it'll be tricky to locate some transactions — you can't search by item/amount from the Pointof Sale app. (You could scroll through the Transactions section of the app, which lists all transactions by date.)

As EJ mentions in this thread the alternative is to sign in to your online Square Dashboard and filter the Transactions report by date and Payment Method (there's an option for Cash). You can can issue a refund right from Dashboard too — click on the payment amount to issue a refund and send a new receipt.

@AmyS I see you also asked about exchanges. If you're subscribed to Square for Retail you can process and exchange from the Retail app. It's not possible to process an exchange with the Point of Sale app yet, but we're working on it!  

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 8

I did two cash transactions yesterday that are not appearing under Transactions nor are they showing up in my daily revenue total. All the credit card transactions are there, and when I did the cash payments, the cash drawer opened and a receipt was printed. Where else would cash transactions be found? Thanks.

Message 8 of 8