x

Does Square offer conditional, criteria, or quantity based discounts?

I want to put an item on the online store that will be discounted 10% if the quantity is 2 or more.

I tried using pre-discounted price points but the customer still has the option to choose a quantity, which throws everything off when they choose anything but a quantity of 1.

I could omit the pre-discounted price points and use a discount code but I only want the code to be applicable if the quantity is 2 or more.

Is this possible?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 200
199 REPLIES 199

Same here!  We need to have conditional discounting as well.  (Buy one for $30 or two for $50, for example)

Message 64 of 200
Alumni

Noted, thank you @mercantileonmai

Message 65 of 200

What I ultimately need is a discounter that watches the total price on the item I'm selecting. Say you're buying something for $4 a piece, but 3 for $10. So the discount would add $2 to the total discounts for the order. Every time the total price on that item hit $12, it would discount the total by $2. 

Message 66 of 200

Possible alternative: Make it so modifier B cannot be utilized until at least 2 options from modifier A have been chosen. Modifier A contains regularly priced items at $4. Modifier B lets you select the third item at $2 to reflect the total discount of 3 for $10.

Message 67 of 200
Alumni

Thank you for sharing this request and suggestion @Damncats🐈

Message 68 of 200

We, also, need conditional discounting.  We generally discount an entire category a certain percentage.  Additionally, it would be helpful to have a discount that would apply to the entire cart EXCEPT for items that are already discounted or on sale.  Any update on this feature would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Message 69 of 200
Beta Member

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: FEATURE REQUEST: Quantity Pricing

One of the more annoying things we've had to workaround is when we offer different pricing when multiples of an item are bought.  For example, I have candy items that are 60¢ each, but 2 for $1.00.

Right now, we use two separate buttons to ring these in, and often there is a lot of removing of items and re-ringing when a customer changes quantity of the cashier didn't notice that there was a second one on the counter.

We are about to add a scanner to the stand setup, which means that now I have to use different workarounds or tell my cashiers not to scan these items.  That's rather annoying.

Please add a feature either:

1. Price for various quantites

or

2. Some kind of automatic discount that can register when more than a set quantity of something is bought,  (In this instance, I would be happy with setting a 10¢ discount on quantities 2+, even though it wouldn't be the full solution.)

Message 70 of 200
Admin

@straycatbrew We're tracking this popular request in this thread: How to/does Square offer conditional criteria or quantify based discounts. I hope the Best Answer on the first page of this thread helps in the meantime! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 71 of 200

How do I set up a discount that in order to get $25 off, you are to select 3 items to purchase? I have tried and it looks like if someone shops in my online store and only puts in 2 items, they're able to apply the $25 off on a $50 purchase. I don't want that.

Message 72 of 200
Square Community Moderator

Hi @GSL

I've moved your post over to this existing thread, as this is something our Discounts team is tracking and monitoring very closely. 

It's not an available feature at the moment, but hopefully we can get something rolled out in the future to help with this. 

Message 73 of 200

This reply created from merging an existing thread: "Is there a way to set a discount with a condition? Like $10 off a purchase of $50 or more?" The author has been notified via email.

Can you set up a discount that can only be applied on a specific item or once a certain price point is hit?

Message 74 of 200

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Discounts

Is there any way that I can apply a discount for a limited items. Example: In order to receive a discount the customer will have to buy 2. or a discount code that can establish an EX 2 for $50 and have them inport the discount based upon the discounted items.

Message 75 of 200
Super Seller

There is not a feature like this in Square currently.  It is an oft-requested feature and I have seen some posts saying there is work being done to make discounts more robust.  To be the first to know what features are coming and to test them you can join the Square Beta program.  

Message 76 of 200

2-1/2 years and counting... how long does it take to look into something and make it happen?

Message 77 of 200

I agree completely! This thread began over 2 years ago and square hasnt came up with SOMETHING? Anything at all....I may need to change POS systems if I cant get this feature soon. Its too much work and confusion to modify every sale manually. Also need this to apply to the online store also. 

Message 78 of 200
Alumni

Automatic Discounts are Now Available for Testing in Beta!

Now when you create a discount in the dashboard, you can choose Auto Apply and select which items and categories will be discounted and even set scheduling rules for time of day, day of the week, and start/end dates allowing you to “set it and forget it” with Automatic Discounts from Square.  

We’re excited to announce new and improved discount functionality available in Beta iOS and Android applications for Square Point of Sale, Square for Retail, and Square for Restaurants. (Square Register is coming soon!).

You can give it a try in just two steps:

1. Complete this short form so that we can give you access to the program.
  2. Download the beta app and use the beta version to see discounts apply automatically in your point of sale.

Automatic Discounts from Square provide features to make discounting—and running your business—easier:

• Faster lines and simpler checkout: discounts created in the dashboard can be set to apply automatically based on the rules you set. Employees won’t need to manually apply discounts.
  • Set it and forget it: schedule recurring discounts like happy hours for the days and times you want or set a start and end date and time.
  • Protect your margins: you now control which items or categories qualify for discounts so you give the level of discount you intended.

How To and FAQ’s

Square’s Terms and Privacy Policy applicable to your existing Square account also apply to your use of the Beta.

Message 79 of 200

This is not helpful. I need to be able to give a discount if a customer purchases 2 or more of an item. Say I sell a pair of leggings for $15/pair. If they purchase 2 they’re only $25 and if they purchase 3 or more they’re only $10 a pair. Do you have a solution for this issue. I’m referring to the online store if a customer makes a purchase. 

Message 80 of 200
Alumni

We don't have volume-based discounts available yet, so it would need to be handled another way. 

Message 81 of 200

So glad to see some development into this feature!

We are also after volume based discounts. We are a gelato shop and sell like any other gelato shop: the first scoop is the most expensive (per scoop) and then the second is cheaper. 

Example: $5 for one scoop and then $7 for two and then $9 for three. 

Hoping you are laying the groundwork for this type of discounting!

Message 82 of 200

Cool, so now I can do Happy Hour Discounts, which definitely is something I can utilize. However, I still need volumetric discounts for giving someone half off a 3rd item without leaving a discount button on the POS that either can be exploited by the cashier, or I would need a manager to punch in a code every time someone wants that 3 taco combo.

Message 83 of 200
Beta Member

This sounds interesting but we still need the ability to do apply a discount directly to one particular item and not have to have some automatic discount already programmed into the system. And it needs to work for the Register System. 

We have items that go on "Instant Rebate" promotions all the time from our vendors. We need to be able to select that item from the sale and apply the instant rebate. We need to be able to see on the receipt that we applied the rebate to that particular item so we know what to refund if we have to.

This is so simple and straight forward. Why in the world is this not available for the Register System... its basic stuff for a POS. We had it in Quickbooks POS and we really need this or we are going to go back.

Stop worrying about your shareholders pockets and start taking care of your customers!!!

Message 84 of 200