x

Epson U220B kitchen printer prints multiple duplicates on longer tickets.

For some reason, our kitchen printer, Epson U220B, prints duplicate tickets when a ticket is longer than approx. 10". The only way to get it to stop is to unplug the unit. It's usually during busy times when it happens. Then we invariably lose a ticket or two because of it being unplugged. Very inconvenient! What can be done to fix?

Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24

We are having same issue with longer tickets being printing multiple times.  We, unfortunately, have no idea how to correct the issue - any help is appreciated. 

Message 2 of 25

We have never been given any satisfactory answers to fixing the issue. It is very frustrating because you have to either shut it off or unplug it to get it to stop printing. Then the possibility is high that you have missed a ticket. I wish we could get some answers. The only thin we get told is that it is a wifi connectivity issue. I know that isn't true because it only does it on long tickets. I am almost to the point of replacing the printer. I still think it is a Square issue because we used the same printer with a different POS and it never did it until we went with Square.

Good luck and maybe we will eventually get some help!!

Message 3 of 25
Square Community Moderator

Hi @encountercafe and @electriclight

That does sound a bit strange. Have either of you done any troubleshooting at all?

The first thing that comes to mind would be to uninstall and reinstall the Point of Sale app. This usually resolves most issues that are app related. I also recommend making sure your device is fully updates as well. 

Let me know if that works for you at all, and if not I'll investigate a bit further. 

Message 4 of 25

Ok, thanks for your reply. I will try to check in to that tomorrow. I will keep you p[osted.

Ray

Message 5 of 25

We are having the same issue.  All square tells us to do is to restart the system and the printers.  During busy times, it is very inconvenient.  Hopefully a resolution will be found for this issue.

Message 6 of 25

Hello @Showells33, how often is this happening to your receipts? Also have you tried EJ's suggestion above? 

Message 7 of 25

We have not tried deleting the app and reinstalling it yet. We actually replaced the kitchen printer with a receipt printer and it has worked perfectly. The tickets look different but it was a printer we were not currently using for receipts, so thought we would try it. Now the kitchen help says they like it and are ok with leaving it there. I have the ticket printer in my office and want to hook it up on the network and see if there are any updates or settings that can be reset to try and correct the issue. If I find something, I will certainly let everyone know.

Message 8 of 25

It seems to only happen on larger tickets and when we are busy.  On Saturday I had to restart the system 4 times.  It prints out 2 extra tickets each time.  I reinstalled the square on both terminals on Sunday.  Tomorrow will be our first busy day since then so hopefully this fixes it.

Message 9 of 25

I’m having this same issue. I’ve deleted the app and the downloaded, ive deleted printer stations and added them again. Nothing is working. Square asked for a video of this and has said they have had no other client report this. If we don’t figure this out soon I’ll need to stop my 7 store changeover (I’m in 5 of my 7 Stores) and go back to Aldelo. Help please!! My only thoughts are maybe the WiFi isn’t strong enough? Or maybe epson printers just won’t work with Square? 

Message 10 of 25

@Showells33 please let us know how it goes! 

If you're still experiencing this issue I recommend reaching out to Epson Support Team. They might have an idea why this is continuing to happen. 

@michaellucca that might be the next step for you as well. This definitely isn't normal.

Message 11 of 25

Since reinstalling square on both iPads we have not had any issues.  However, we haven't entered any longer tickets since then.  Next week I have a few larger groups coming in.  Hopefully we won't have a problem with them.

Message 12 of 25

So after reading this thread yesterday I decided to buy a Star Micronics impact printer from Amazon ($270), it was plug and play. It came in today, so far no double prints. I’m running with this until Monday, if no double prints happen I’ll consider it a fix. I’ll post in here again to let everyone know. Cross your fingers! 

Message 13 of 25

Purchasing the Star impact printer to replace the epson seems to have fixed my multi prints. Here is the link to the one I got off of amazon. It was plug and play. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00E3B10HO/ref=ya_aw_oh_bia_dp?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Message 14 of 25

First we reinstalled all the software on to our Ipads.  Then we re-set up the printers.  Finally we purchased a new printer and we are still having issues with duplicate tickets.  Worse though, is some tickets are rang in and never make it to the printer.  It seems to only happen when we are busy.  It's beyond frustrating.  We may have to look into using a different POS since Square can't seem to give us a solution that works.

Message 15 of 25

Man, do I feel you pain! I am very disappointed with Square that they can't offer a solution. We replaced the troublesome kitchen printer with a receipt printer and it works fine. Kitchen help doesn't like it because it doesn't make any noise when it prints so they occasionally miss an order. They keep asking us to do stuff we've already tried and it won't work. It's got to be in the Square configuration because I checked all the printer parameters to see if there are any paper length settings and couldn't find anything that would cause it to do what it does.

Message 16 of 25
Admin

I'm so sorry to hear that you're still experiencing this issue @Showells33 and @encountercafe! If you haven't already please do call our CS team directly to let them know that duplicate tickets are printing and that some tickets aren't printing at all. That is certainly not normal and I'm very sorry for the disruption it's causing to your busineses. 

When you call in please share details of your set up (types of devices your using with Square and wifi configuration). It would also be great if you have to hand photographs of duplicate tickets/examples of missing tickets. With that information we can continue to investigate this with our engineering team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 17 of 25
Beta Member

Has anyone resolved this issue? We are experiencing the issue of duplicate tickets on big orders.  No missing tickets unless we have to unplug. We have done all of the troubleshooting.  We have a Register and two iPads in our restaurant. Long tickets print fine from the Register but both of the iPads print duplicates.  Our solution has been to split tickets on entry or enter from Register but this is distruptive on busy days. We just implemented on April 16 and love Square so far. This is really the only issue we've had. 

Message 18 of 25

GOOD LUCK! I’ve been over this with square so many times. Finally they put their expert engineers on it, about 10 days later I finally got a response. I can’t wait to tell you what they came up with after all this time and multiple phone calls.............The solution, and a direct quote from square, PRINT SHORTER TICKETS!

Have fun, I’d love to know who your rep is!

Message 19 of 25

Just curious to know if michaellucca is still ok with the Star printer and if long tickets are any issue? We are still using a receipt printer but don't really like it. I am appalled at the solution from Square - PRINT SHORTER TICKETS, as though that were an option. Splitting orders is a very unhandy thing, especially if you are busy.

Message 20 of 25

I can’t comment on the other printer. I can say we’ve tried other printers that were compatible, and had the same issue. It’s definitely a software issue that they cannot fix. I’m don’t know what kind of establishment you have, but after multiple Saturday nights where the same ticket will print 10 times. Not an exaggeration I have pictures, and being completely ignored by square. We’ve had to go old school and print grids and have to servers hand write the orders of anything larger than a 5 top. I was so happy with square when we first started, but it’s been one disappointment after another. I loath square now, and can’t wait to switch. I would recommend checking out toast

Message 21 of 25