x

An Automatic Gratuity / Tip button for Point of Sale app would be great, please

An Automatic Gratuity / Tip button for Point of Sale app would be great, please

We add a mandatory 18% gratuity to all large parties in the restaurant, but there's no easy way to do this without getting out a calculator and doing the math (horror!) manually. 

I tried creating a new "tax" of 18%, but it only half-works. On the plus side, it automatically calculates what 18% of the bill would be. But on the minus side, it's listed on the customer receipt as "tax," which is a deal-breaker. 

For now, we define an item called "Gratuity" with an undefined price/percentage and then calculate it manually for every bill as described above. It's error-prone and time-consuming, both bad things. Surely Square Register is smart enough to figure out the tip on its own? 

1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Re: Automatic tip for parties of 6+

@MR_Cltuch @Gam1 I just wanted to let you know that automatic gratuity based on the number of guests at a table is currently available with Square Restaurants. Square for Restaurants is a separate app to the Point of Sale app and it's free to try for 30 days. There's more information about automatic gratuity and other check management features with Square for Restaurants in our Support Center too! 

71 Comments

This would be a great feature for our restaurant!!!  For parties over a certain amount, it should automatically add it up w/o adding tax.  We calculate tips at the end of every shift, so if we have to use your "work around" button - then we need to spend time at the end of every shift going thru receipts to see if tips got added as a line item.  Easy fix!!!

Admin

Thank you for letting us know what you'd like to see @bbclassicdogs. Sorry to hear the workaround adds time for you, that's certainly not ideal!

If there are any updates on this feature we'll let everyone in this thread know. 👍

I have a restaurant and charge a group gratuity.   Please get this solved asap.   

Square Community Moderator

Thanks for chiming in on this thread @hbbq

If anything new comes along in regards to this, we'll post an update. I'll pass your interest over to our Payments team 👍🏼

Has there been any updates to a gratuity button? We also charge a mandatory gradutity for large parties.

Hello @popuppaint305, we're still tracking requests for this feature, but we don't have any updates to share at this time. 

Beta Member

Wondering about an update on this feature. We are just implementing Square Register this month. The suggested workaround to add as a separate tax does not work in our state as sales tax must be charged on the sale plus any mandatory gratuity. If they charge as two separate taxes on the sale, it is not calculating sales tax correctly. 

Square Community Moderator

Hi @Magills08

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and experience around this. 

While there's nothing new in regards to adding automatic gratuity, another workaround that might work for you would be to create a variable priced item for the gratuity that can be added to the sale before check out. 

This would allow for the entire sale to be taxed correctly. 

I believe people have been asking for this for years. 

For those of us not in the loop, can you explain what you mean by a gratuity button?

I’ve seen an option for customers to add a tip when they sign the screen. Is that not it?