x

Do I need a SKU?

Do I need a SKU if I am not selling online? If I do, is there a certain method of doing so?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Alumni

Hey @Jewels1!

You would only need to add a SKU number if the product you're selling includes one and want to track your inventory that way. You can check out Create and Manage Items Online on how to best set it up.

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 2 of 5

Sounds about right. I can easily keep track by description since it is my own artwork. Thank you.

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller

No, and yes/sort-of

SKU stands for stock keeping unit... It's really just a unique number that can be looked up easily (primarily for your own use). You could for instance, just make up a number and store it in that SKU field... You will not be able to use that same number for any item in your square library, but it will technically be that item's official SKU.

If you're going to be selling on places like Amazon, or to bigger retailers like Wal-mart, you will need to setup a GS1 account and register your own barcodes... Smaller retailers will let you get away with buying barcodes from resalers who have their own GS1... You can buy them from a million different websites (cheapbarcodes.com, etc, etc, etc). 

A GS1 is ~$150 initial setup, and ~$50 a year (depending on how many barcodes you need... Or you can buy a dozen barcodes from a resale website with their own GS1 for dirt cheap... ~$10 maybe? ... But like I said, they won't allow that at bigger retailers. 

Message 4 of 5

Thank you. For now, just a local show.

Message 5 of 5