x
Super Seller

Feature Request: Test Transactions (Training Mode)

I've run into some very odd issues with my Square transactions and now, despite processing refunds I still have a mathematical error in my accounting and it cannot be reconciled.  (Help call confirmed this on Jan 7, 2019.)

REQUEST: Could you please implement a 'Testing' mode where people can just turn off the data and see how things work?  

In another thread, you suggested a workaround of just processing transactions and then refunding them.  This doesn't work well for a few really valid reasons:

• Square still records the transaction as a sale; a refund will adjust the final 'net' dollar amounts but it doesn't clear out the sales counts such as item and category sales (throwing off the actual sales numbers).  The dollar amounts also remain in the 'gross sales' totals and activity reports.

• Due to inexplicable mathematical errors in your software, tips are not removed from sales totals even if the full transaction is refunded.  Hopefully this will be fixed; but now all my 'test' tips are still showing as income and my tax report shows that I owe tax on the tips even though I didn't actually take any in.

ALTERNATE REQUEST: a way to delete 100% of all sales data from an account.  This would allow a new user to do testing on the way their products show up in various sales reports, play with the system, and then start fresh when they go 'live' with real clients.

I spent a fair bit of time setting up the products and all the account settings and the idea of just starting a new account 'because it is free' seems pretty daunting time-wise.  My first week or so will be a total mess and I will have to find a way to reassure my accountant that most if it should be ignored.

Michael
New Light Photography | SUB Photo | Square fan
Message 1 of 41
1 Verified Answer
Verified Answer

Feature Request: Test Transactions (Training Mode)

I've run into some very odd issues with my Square transactions and now, despite processing refunds I still have a mathematical error in my accounting and it cannot be reconciled.  (Help call confirmed this on Jan 7, 2019.)

REQUEST: Could you please implement a 'Testing' mode where people can just turn off the data and see how things work?  

In another thread, you suggested a workaround of just processing transactions and then refunding them.  This doesn't work well for a few really valid reasons:

• Square still records the transaction as a sale; a refund will adjust the final 'net' dollar amounts but it doesn't clear out the sales counts such as item and category sales (throwing off the actual sales numbers).  The dollar amounts also remain in the 'gross sales' totals and activity reports.

• Due to inexplicable mathematical errors in your software, tips are not removed from sales totals even if the full transaction is refunded.  Hopefully this will be fixed; but now all my 'test' tips are still showing as income and my tax report shows that I owe tax on the tips even though I didn't actually take any in.

ALTERNATE REQUEST: a way to delete 100% of all sales data from an account.  This would allow a new user to do testing on the way their products show up in various sales reports, play with the system, and then start fresh when they go 'live' with real clients.

I spent a fair bit of time setting up the products and all the account settings and the idea of just starting a new account 'because it is free' seems pretty daunting time-wise.  My first week or so will be a total mess and I will have to find a way to reassure my accountant that most if it should be ignored.

40 REPLIES 40

I'm new with Square, and want to put the app in test mode so I can play with it and view how the reporting works.  Outside of creating a fake account however, I don't see an option to do so.

im trying to figure out for example, if I want to make 2 different menu items for one of my food menu items (Italian Rice Balls, 5 for $7 vs buy a dish and get 3 Italian Rice Balls for $3), or if I want to make it a sub option under a category called rice balls.  Seeing how the reporting and inventory is managed would make a big difference In that decision.

Also, when it comes to your inventory control stuff, if I have food waste, like a plate gets dropped, is there a way to mark it as loss, rather than having to create a transaction for it and then discount the transaction 100%, so that inventory tracks properly?

Message 2 of 41
Super Seller

Unfortunately there is no testimode. That is something I have asked about for a couple years also. Or the ability to delete transactions either done in error or In training mode. 

You are correct and the best way to do it would be to create another account and do all your practicing in there so that it doesn't affect the real square account 

Message 3 of 41
Square

Great question @BAPS. @VanKalkerFarms is correct, we don't currently have a test mode. 

As for a "loss" attribute for items, that is not something that we currently have but you are able to manually adjust your inventory to help track these types of inventory loss. I absolutely agree that this would be a very useful tool and I'll pass this request along to our Product team. 

Thanks for taking the time to post! 😊

Message 4 of 41

Has a test mode been implemented yet?

Message 5 of 41
Super Seller

sorry, still no test mode. Seems silly to open a dumby account for training but that may be your only option. 

Message 6 of 41

New equipment as well as new users should be able to test both sale and refunds without incurring a charge for the transactions from Square. 

We invest a lot of time and expense into new equipment as well as the new readers. We need to be able to train our users with hands on training and not lectures that will be forgotten 

Message 7 of 41
Super Seller

I agree that having the ability to practice would be helpful, but you will receive a refund for fees paid if you refund a sale. Running a test credit card transaction then doesn't actually cost you anything in the end.

Message 8 of 41

I have the new Square Register and was looking for a training mode to train employees.  Even Vend offers that.  A little disappointed.

Message 9 of 41
Square Community Moderator

It's definitely a popular feature request @Valerie14432 

The Best Answer in this thread is the most commonly used workaround, but hopefully we can come up with a better solution in the near future. 

Message 10 of 41

ok, so this reply was back in 2018. we are now in 2021 and there is still no practice mode?? I'm sure a software update could solve this issue for everyone! Thx 

Message 11 of 41

This reply was created from merging the thread "Is there way to allow my staff to practice taking payment?"

I have a small staff that work remotely and are new to using Square. Is there a dummy account or way that I can have them run through taking payment that won't actually charge an account? 

Message 12 of 41

Hello @Facebar

I went ahead and merged your thread with this one since this question has been asked before. This keeps the community organized and easier to search for other sellers. 

Currently we don't offer a test mode for practice payments, but we are tracking the feedback on this thread. 

Message 13 of 41

Put me in the "You definately need this feature" side.

How do you set up a dummy account using the same ssn and what do you use for a bank account? Please explain this to me!

Message 14 of 41
Alumni

Hey @BobMerlin - You wouldn't need to link a bank account to your test Square account since you won't be depositing any funds from it. You would just need to make sure to refund the test transactions that you process. 👍

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 15 of 41

Hi, any developments on test/training mode? Is there any rationale for not having it? It appears to have been a topic of discussion for several years. What is the best way to receive updates on this? 

Message 16 of 41
Admin

Hello @phanson99! No updates on this request yet but we will continue to flag this request ot the Point of Sale team. You can subscribe to this thread for updates - sign in to the Community and then click 'Subscribe' in the upper right of your screen. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 17 of 41

Hi Helen.  Just wondering if this has been discussed any more on the cooperate level?  Would love to have some more input as to where Square is at on this decision and if it will be implemented in the very near future.  Please let us know something soon.  

Message 18 of 41

Hello @HammerDownGrill

Currently we are still in the process of collecting feedback for this feature request. In the event we move forward with this feature we will make an announcement on this thread. 

Message 19 of 41

Thanks Chad, but saying you are "still in the process of collecting feedback" after three years of clients practically begging for this feature indicates there was likely a strategic decision on the part of Squareup not to offer this basic crucial feature. In Foodservice TRAINING is everything. 

I would guess that the numbers were run and Square projected that the amount they might lose by not offering training mode is less than the costs incurred in development.

Had I done more due dilligence prior to choosing Square I might well have gone a different direction.

Am I being cynical...or is Squareup? 

Message 20 of 41

Curious about the feedback you've collected, approximately what percentage of it is opposed to offering a training mode feature?

Message 21 of 41