x

Can you use the Contactless Reader to accept data via NFC (other than Android Pay, Apple Pay, etc.)?

I am creating an app for other merchants to use which uses NFC to check the identity of the consumer. Is there any way I can use the Contactless Reader to just accept data via NFC other than Android Pay, Apple Pay, etc. ?

Message 1 of 9
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry, at this time you can't access any of the underlying NFC capabilities, you can just access it to do payments. Hope that helps!

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Alumni

Best Answer

Sorry, at this time you can't access any of the underlying NFC capabilities, you can just access it to do payments. Hope that helps!

Message 2 of 9

we are looking to use square and cashless payments at a large event (8000 people).  have a bunch of software (square) and hardware (wristband, tablet) questions.  anyone have any experience with this?

Message 3 of 9
Super Seller

Square does work with NFC, but only from android phones, iPhones, or Apple Watches.  It is not going to work like a Disney magic band for accepting payments or as a ride pass, that is built as a proprietary system from the ground up.

Message 4 of 9
Square

@VanKalkerFarms - Thanks for your help with this one! 

@aprice88 - This same topic was discussed in this thread (went ahead and combined them). 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 5 of 9

For the non-techie on the board, how do you accept the Apple Pay or Android Pay via the Square software? Or did I misunderstand that it's possible?

Thanks.

Message 6 of 9
Admin

Hey @kakonicki, welcome to the seller community! ✌🏻

Yep, you can accept contactless payments like Apple Pay and Android Pay! We made a video demonstration for this not too long ago. Check it out:

Find more details in our Support Center: Accept Payments with the Contactless + Chip Reader. Hope this helps clear things up. 🙂

️ Tom | he/him
Seller Community Manager | Square, Inc.
Find step-by-step help in our Support Center
Message 7 of 9

Is there any settings I need to be aware of to accept apple pay, googlepay, android pay from my square reader. If the green 4 green lights don’t come up after holding customers mobile near reader, what do I do instead of asking for the card?

Message 8 of 9
Alumni

Hey @Hands4healing -  Nope! Aside from these instructions, there are no other settings to be aware of. If the lights are not flashing green, that means the reader is not connected or isn't fully charged. In that case, check out these troubleshooting steps

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 9