x
Beta Member

Anyone having trouble with FreshKDS?

Is there anyone who is having trouble with FreshKDS?  We're having tons of trouble and their support team is not responsive.  

The problem I am encountering is that whenever I add a second tablet to the system, it isn't recognized by square.  Often it then breaks the first tablet.  We've tried multiple types of tablets, uninstalled and reinstalled everything, made sure all of our OS's are up to date, etc...

Is there anyone else struggling with this?

Message 1 of 69
68 REPLIES 68
Beta Member

Great!  Thank you for updating us on Square's actions regarding all of this. If by handling on a "case by case basis" you mean "not handling at all" you're absolutely accurate.

Message 22 of 69

Sean, the suggestion has been made repeatedly: a world class company like square needs to provide it's own KDS rather than allow a third-party to have a negative impact on square users. Please bring this to company management.

Message 23 of 69
Square

@NewYorkPizza - Thanks for the advice, and I'll be sure to pass along the suggestion. 

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 24 of 69

Definitely, I'm considering other POS options. This is completely unacceptable. Square is over their head and drowning in support issues and product development. 

Message 25 of 69

Sean, have you heard anything back from this team? I recently invested in new tablets to try and implement this system and now I'm strongly regretting it. The customer support "has no telephone support" and I am going back and forth over email and getting surface level answers. I do not understand why Square wouldn't want to do their own software for this and charge additional just like with employee tracking, marketing, loyalty and the other "add ons". This is a dead simple concept but FreshKDS is making me consider calling Clover! 

Message 26 of 69
Beta Member

So I went the cheap route and bought an airport extreme (as opposed to the pep router suggested) to connect to my modem/router combo provided by my isp. I've only had 1 instance of disappearing tickets since the router change. Very very rarely will a ticket be slow to pop up on my screen. (10 second wait as opposed to instantly). My equipment is pretty close to each other with no obstructions. If you're trying to get a signal through walls, floors, or other obstacles; I have no doubt that one of those pep routers will do the trick. 

Message 27 of 69
Beta Member

Our system started having more issues over the last couple weeks, unable to connect, dropped tickets and delayed tickets. Today was the worst.  We wrote to KDS customer support telling them that we've checked all connections, updates, etc. The only responce we've received so far is to "check to make sure everything is updated"....duh.  We replied back again, so far crickets.  Good idea in the wrong hands.  Wireless ticketing has become an important part of our work flow and we will consider moving to another platform if this can't be resolved.   Manage your partnerships Square.

Message 28 of 69
Beta Member

Can I ask what you're using for a router?

Message 29 of 69
Square

Hi @brittinbryan. While I've definitely passed along all of this feedback from this thread to our Partnerships Team, I haven't requested a specific response from them. I do know that Fresh KDS is dedicated to troubleshooting with sellers on a case by case basis. If you're not getting the support you need, I'm happy to escalate cases individually, I'd just need you to send me a private message with your case number. Hope this helps! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 30 of 69
Beta Member

@Sean, I'm going to send you a PM.  For everyone else having delayed tickets/no-show ticket issues, we seem to be having the issue most with credit card transactions vs cash.  I don't know if this points backt to something with Square and the way the 2 transactions get handled and sent to the receipt printers (KDS)?  I've updated my ticket with Fresh KDS and haven't had a response in 2 days. I've also sent an email to their marketing guy asking if the product development is dead, so we can make a decision to move on....which would mean moving on from Square.

@Sean how does one DM you? I can't seem to locate any link.

Message 31 of 69
Beta Member

Vcb, what router are you using? Are you using a modem/router combo?

Message 32 of 69
Square

Hi @VCB, I'd be curious to hear what router you're using, as well. It tends to be the common denominator for issues. As for how to send a private message, check out this thread.

Sean
he/him/his
Message 33 of 69
Beta Member

Hi @Sean We have a current Arris Surfboard modem and an EdgeRouter from Umbiquious Networks.  Our network and wifi is solid, and has been working mostly flawlessly with KDS for over 10 months. The problems are new, the problems mostlikly lie with KDS/Square development.

At opening this morning, with no customers or activity on our network, the credit card transaction took over 2 min. to appear on the KDS dedicated tablet. Cash transactions are appearing "normal" at the moment.  Its been over 4 days without any reply to a KDS ticket, and no reply to direct emails to their marking manager. I even asked it the product was still active in development...no answer.

With all due respect, I"m not going to waste anytime messing with my funtioning netwok until I see some effort put forth from the compies we are paying for services.  Dead tickets don't do much for customer confidence.  Maybe its time for the Partner Relations to get active with KDS since there seems to be a trend of unhappy service from your Square community?

Message 34 of 69
Beta Member

Just to chime in, I too have seen more reprint ticket messages in the past couple of days. It hasn't been crippling, but yeah. Just thought I'd share what's been going on lately. Before I switched my router, I too thought my network was rock solid (based on latency/ping tests). A new router cleared that issue up. But im working with a new router now, so the router better not be an issue. I still second that square should take over this functionality, especially when you've changed the app name to Point of Sale

Message 35 of 69
Beta Member

Thanks, I'll be more than happy to spend another $150-250 to purchase a new router and configure our network again, once someone at KDS or Square confirms that that IS the problem.  Until then, I'll wait through Monday and start looking towards Clover and a merchant account.

This problem is killing us in a moderately busy coffee shop, I can't imagine any restaraunt dealing with this.

Message 36 of 69
Beta Member

@Sean can you or anyone in tech at Square explain why my modem is playing part in ONLY CREDIT CARD transactions not relaying to my dedicated KDS tablet/printer?  KDS can't.  Our modem and router are 15 feet away, with little/no obstruction (walls, etc).  We are running Square version "Point Of Sale b10".  Can your tech department 100% confirm this is not an issue with Square? Again, we get all our cash tickets, only issue is with CC payments...everything worked fine until recently.  Square is the only thing that has changed.

Moving forward with Square partners like KDS is going to hurt your product. They have zero idea what "customer service" is, which is funny since most of the core team came directly from the restaurant industry.

Message 37 of 69
Beta Member

Do you use the name function on  the kds settings within the square app? I forget the actual name of it, but it's the option where it pulls a name from a credit card and sends it to the kds tablet ticket. That's the only difference between a cash and credit transaction that I can think of within kds, since you have to manually type in a name with cash. 

Message 38 of 69
Beta Member

Hi @candlepins No we just keep it in the default setting and it sends it over as a number, not the name/personalize ticket.  Its frustrating since nothing has changed on our end, yet the first thing KDS wants to do is point the problem to your equipment, without any idea of what the configuration is.  Its the way oldschool support worked, "blame the other guy" vs. actually investing anytime into troubleshooting and improving the product & customer relation.  If there was any alternative to KDS with Square, their game would be over quickly.

Message 39 of 69
Beta Member

Yeah, I was not too impressed with their customer service when I was having issues. Luckily, the new router settled those business crushing issues I had and I've been blowing any dust off of it to keep it running cool. The guy from the pizza shop in this thread had way more useful info than kds. I'm not sure us kds users are going to get much love , I doubt that there are that many of us. Either all of us in this thread are the unluckiest users, or we are the only kds community forum online. 

Message 40 of 69
Square

Hi again @VCB, and thank for those details. It sounds like you may be using a beta version of our Point of Sale app. Is that right? If so, have you tried using the regular version? 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 41 of 69

Sean, I'm headed to Pizza Expo next week and will be looking at POS options. There are times we have 40 orders in the queue and we cannot see past the first page and have no idea what's coming. How long must users provide valid, negative feedback of how an app is negatively impacting their business before Square actually does something beyond the requisite "we have no control over third-party developers"????? It's infuriating. We've gone so far as to have people transpose all of the order info onto a pizza box for pickup and online orders so we can get them off the screen to see what's next. Ridiculous. 

Message 42 of 69