x
Alumni

Itemized Refunds now available for iOS ๐ŸŽ‰

Iโ€™m thrilled to announce the release of a very popular feature request: Itemized Refunds for iOS! Make sure you are using the latest version of the app to take advantage of this feature. 

Before I go any further, I should mention weโ€™re working on bringing itemized refunds to Android devices very soon. Stay tuned! 

If youโ€™re using the Square Point of Sale app on an iPhone or iPad, rejoice! Transactions with items can now be refunded on a per-item basis. When you issue a refund on an item, any applicable taxes and discounts will automatically be calculated in the total amount to be refunded.

To issue an itemized refund:

1. Tap the three horizontal lines in the navigation bar.
  2. Tap Activity.
  3. Select the transaction you'd like to refund > tap Issue Refund.
  4. Tap Refund All Items to refund the entire sale, select the specific items youโ€™d like to refund, or tap Amount to refund a specific dollar amount.
  5. Tap Next. 
  6. Select a reason for the refund > tap Refund.

For Custom Amount transactions, youโ€™ll have the option to refund any dollar amount up to the total amount of the sale. If youโ€™ve added multiple custom amounts to the same sale, you can refund those individually as well.

Since a tip is considered a line item, this is also something you can refund indivdually. Just keep in mind that if you do refund the tip, you won't be able to chose a new tip amount. You'd have to run a separate transaction for that. 

I should note that receipts will only be updated with the refunded amount and the reason for the refund, but weโ€™re working on itemizing receipts as well and will update you once thatโ€™s done.

As usual, I want to thank everyone who requested this feature, as it helped our product teams prioritize the request. If you have any questions or suggestions, let us know!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16

My Square dreams are starting to become a reality! I can now do real returns with the sales tax and inventory adjusted! Thank you!!!!! This is a great step in the right direction! My concern is that I rarely give receipts and I have a very relaxed return policy so looking up an individual sale in the Activity menu is sometimes impossible. Will there soon be a way to return an item that is not associated with a previous sale or was a gift because the customer has no record of purchase? I do exchanges or store credit on a gift card for most of the merchandise that is returned. Being able to return an item that is not associated with a previous sale would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Karen

Message 2 of 17
Alumni

@sustainableware hey Karen, thanks for your post! You bring up an interesting use case - returns for items without knowing the specific sale are not available yet, but we'll update you here if that's something we're able to build out. 

Message 3 of 17

This is wonderful news! Thank you, Square! Does this mean that sales tax will be refunded on individual items? Will our inventory be adjusted?

We've been using Square exclusively in our store for over a month now, and are very pleased with it.

Message 4 of 17
Alumni

Hi @FAMI! So happy you've been pleased with Square since you started using us exclusively! Giving us the warm fuzzies over here ๐Ÿ˜Œ

Yep, Sales tax will be refunded on the individual item level. Right now your inventory will not get updated automatically with an item-level return, but that's something that's on our product roadmap. 

Message 5 of 17

Thank you, Kpay. I'm impressed with the way Square responds to users' requests!

Message 6 of 17

This is a great improvement.  Is it possible that sales tax refund is also calculated and adjusted in sales reporting?

Message 7 of 17
Alumni

@TheCoffeeBox, glad you're happy with this launch! Your sales tax will be refunded on the individual item level and the Item Sales Report in your dashboard will show an itemized breakdown of items returned. ๐Ÿ‘

Message 8 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

l love the new itemized refund option which keeps track of my inventory!

I do have some $0 items that I use to separately keep track of non-sales inventory - but if we make a mistake and try to refund them to fix my inventory count, it says something like "The item has already been refunded."

Will there be a fix for this so I can refund $0 items?

Pesso - he/him
Pesso's Ices & Ice Cream
Square Super Seller - I'm here to help!
Message 9 of 17
Alumni

Hey @pessosices it looks like @EJ_ is looking into this for you over in this thread. Looking forward to getting to the bottom of it for you.  

Message 10 of 17
Super Seller Alumni

Yay!  This is truely a great feature addition and a testitmate to the fact that Square's listening to its customers!

Message 11 of 17
Beta Member

Every update just gets better and better! I can enthusiastically continue to refer friend who are opening businesses to Square! Thanks for such an awesome product y'all!

Message 12 of 17
Alumni

Aww, thank you @Littlepnuts! We appreciate you recommending us to your friends, that means so much! ๐Ÿ’—

Message 13 of 17

I have refunded my one item or transaction ten days back but still square team didn't refund it in the credit account . Can anyone help me in this issue to resolve . 

Thanks 

Message 14 of 17

My returns are all for in-store credit, often with the person making a purchase to take something new in return.  So it has a negative and a positive in the same sale.  I am manually adjusting inventory to manage my returns.  Thank you for making in roads in this process!

Message 15 of 17

When will this be available for android?

Message 16 of 17
Square Community Moderator

Hi @teamyz

I don't have an exact timeline, but I our Android Engineering team is currently working on this and it should be available soon. 

Hang tight and we'll get this rolled out to you as soon as possible. 

Message 17 of 17