x
Super Seller

How can I use my iPhone 7 without a headphone jack?

So now that the iphone 7 has been offically annouced, with the rumored lack of headphone port, does square have any information they can announce as to whether the included lightning to headphone dongle will work with the mag stripe reader? 

@Kpay or @Sean?

Tags (1)
Message 1 of 46
2 Best Answers
Square

Best Answer

August 2018 Update:

Hello again! A quick upate to let you know a new magstripe reader that connects to new iPhones is now available for $10. 🎉🙌 You can read about this new reader here: Introducing a new Square magstripe reader. Or to order a reader sign in to the Square Shop

Square-Reader-Lightning-01b_Medium.jpg

@VanKalkerFarms - Happy to follow up! Alongside the release of Apple's newest iPhone, they also shared that they're including a lightning to 3.5 mm headphone jack adapter. We've tested out this adapter out, and it works just fine with all of our readers. 

Also, it's definitely worth mentioning that the Square Contactless and Chip Card Reader pairs wirelessly to smartphones and tablets, meaning, no headphone jack required. 👍

With the move to chip cards, and the speed of contactless payments - sellers should still be in a good position, regardless of what smartphone or tablet they're using. 

Hope this helps!

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.

View Best Answer >

Message 8 of 46

Best Answer

how can you use the square on the new iphone 7

View Best Answer >

Message 16 of 46
45 REPLIES 45
Square

@ChristCarriesMe - I'll make the suggestion to our Content team. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Message 22 of 46

That hasn't been my experience.  We have two magstripe readers.  One on a Ipad Mini with the headphone jack that works just fine.  The other is on an Iphone 7 using the supplied cord with the magstripe reader.  It takes at least three swipes to get it to work.  Today it wouldn't work at all.

Message 23 of 46

@chabunga Have you tried swapping out the sets?  See if the one you know works well will work in the phone. If it does then try the one that's not working on the tablet.   If it fails you know you have a bad cable or a bad reader.  Magstripe reader may need to be replaced.  

Message 24 of 46

Thanks for the quick response!  I'll give that a whirl and let you know.  Thank!

Message 25 of 46

The new Apple I seven phone do not have a plug-in slot to enable an individual to swipe the credit card.   Are there any alternative to that situation, or do I stay with the old I six phone?

Message 26 of 46
Square

@Iley-Cole - I went ahead and moved your comment to this thread, as it's closely related to your question. Check it out! 

Sean
he/him/his
Message 27 of 46

For those of us that want to upgrade to iphone 7 which doesnt have aux jack how can we use swipe method without getting overcharged for use. Meaning there is one fee for use with swipe method and there is another fee which is more for using the hand entry on app. We only use our phones for charges, we do not have ipad or another method to use to charge. Please help, thank you.

Message 28 of 46
Square Community Moderator

@athamburg57 Check out the information in this existing thread. It should answer most of the questions you have around the new iPhone. 

Message 29 of 46

How can I get a reader for my iPhone 7?

Message 30 of 46
Super Seller

You can order your free reader here. https://squareup.com/dashboard/account/reader-request

Or you can buy the contactless reader here. https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/chip-credit-card-reader-with-nfc?utm_medium=Redire...

You'll need the free magnetic stripe reader with the contactless reader because not all cards have chips yet.

Your iPhone 7 came with a lightning to headphone jack adapter in the box.

Message 31 of 46

The free card reader works on my iPhone 7 Plus using the Apple provided lightning to 3.5mm cable. If you no longer have this cable you'll probably need to buy the one from Apple for $9

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MMX62AM/A/lightning-to-35-mm-headphone-jack-adapter

The free card reader will only work with a 3.5mm jack that supports both audio & mic input. Many of the 3rd party lightning to 3.5mm cables or cases only support a stereo audio output.

Message 32 of 46

Hi im have a iphone 7 plus i canot use the square what i due now

Message 33 of 46
Developer

Your iPhone 7 came with a lightning to headphone adapter. You could use that but it might not be the best customer experience.

You could also use the bluetooth reader that has the additional benefit of Apple Pay and Chip reading. 

https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/chip-credit-card-reader-with-nfc

Honestly, I prefer a tablet for the application for the  item grid screen. Easier for the customer to use as well.

Message 34 of 46
Alumni

Hey @Michy -

I moved your question to this thread where other sellers also wondered about using the Magstripe reader and Chip Card reader with the iPhone 7. @mtnwswbob is right on with this information - thanks! 😎

Let us know if you need anything else. 

Message 35 of 46
Alumni

The iPhone 7 is sold with a lightning to headphone adapter in the box. You can use this adapter to connect the Magstripe reader or Chip Card reader to your iPhone 7. 

You can also use the Contactless + Chip Card reader which connect by Bluetooth.

Message 36 of 46

After upgrading phones the audio hole is not there - what do I plug my Square into now? Do I need a new Square? Or is there an adapter?

Message 37 of 46

Hi, Android fanboy here, now you know why working with Apple products is no bueno. They switched to a proprietary lightning adapter so all accessories makers now have to pay a royalty to Apple regardless of loss of function.

Square has a lightning adapter: https://squareup.com/shop/hardware/us/en/products/lightning-adapter-for-square-reader

OR

You can use the lightning to headphone converter provided to you in the iPhone box itself.

Message 38 of 46

like the guy below no headphone jack on IPhone 7 how do we use the square reader, do you have an upgrade??? lmk as I/you are losing sales..

Message 39 of 46
Super Seller

Message 40 of 46

I just received my mag stripe reader and don't know where to connect it to my iPhone 7.

Does anyone know?

Message 41 of 46
Admin

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Where does the mag stripe reader connect with my iPhone 7?

Hi @SecondSet! Other sellers asked the same question so I moved your post here, check out the Best Answer in this thread to see how to use Square readers with your iPhone 7! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 42 of 46