x

Is it possible to set up recurring / subscription / membership payments through my Square website?

The title of this post has been edited from the original: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

Message 1 of 239
3 Verified Answers
Verified Answer

Re: With Square E-commerce for nonprofits, can you set up a page with recurring donations?

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Verified Answer

Re: Does Square offer subscriptions for online store purchases?

Hey there  @Gabberdunes -

At this time, the only way to do this is by creating a Recurring Invoice Series. However, customers wont be able to opt in when placing online orders since online won't recognize them as an invoices.

I'll pass tag your idea as a feature request so the Product Team gets word of what you're looking for. Keep an eye out for updates! 

Verified Answer

Re: Membership Management

The answer is YES

If I set up the Club Membership as an item, will it be able to get a report of the item sold together with the name of customers who bought it?  Yes, you can assign a customer to any sale.  If you are selling a recurring membership you can do this through recurring invoices.  If the customer saves there payment information then it will auto charge the account each month.

Can I get a report of all payments going through the linked bank account for reconciliation purposes? There are many reports you can use to show payment and daily deposits.

Also, can multiple users share access to the software? Yes, You can use employee management to give controlled access to the app.

2 Best Answers
Admin

Best Answer

Hey @TABMin🌟

Just wanted to update this thread with our most current options.

As @RHatch said, you can create a recurring invoice to function as a subscription. This will autocharge your customer on a schedule of your choosing.

OR 

We also have subscription payments with Square Checkout links. With Square Online Checkout you can set up one checkout link with the subscription feature enabled. Instead of using Square Invoices for recurring payments, the subscription checkout link can be used to accept weekly, monthly, quarterly, or annual payments from multiple customers with a single checkout link. You can also self-select which specific checkout links your customers will be able to pay through. For example, use donation links for accepting monthly payments from donors/supporters.

️ Isabelle | she/her
Seller Community & Super Seller Program Manager | Square, Inc.
Learn about the Super Seller program!

View Best Answer >

Message 203 of 239
Alumni

Best Answer

We introduced the ability to offer a recurring donation option last summer 

I can give you a quick rundown here - let's go! 

You'll start by heading to your Square Dashboard > Online Checkout

Click the Create checkout link in the top right-hand corner:

Select Accept a donation from the options in the pop-up:

On the next page, you'll want to give your donation item a name, and possibly a description.
Most importantly, be sure to click Advanced settings to toggle ON the Accept recurring donations setting.

This is also where you can select the frequency of the recurring donation and set a donation goal (optional).

At the bottom of this window, you can also add custom fields!

Be sure to hit Create link - now you've got your checkout link! If you want to customize the text shown on your button, locate your created checkout link from the Checkout Link page, and click it. Next, select Customize:

If you want to add this button to your website, copy the Website button code and head over to your website editor and insert it wherever you want customers to see your donation button 

Here's an example of my checkout link offering recurring donations:

If any questions come up as you create your checkout link, feel free to let us know here so we can dig with you, @RogerS!

Valentina
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 229 of 239
238 REPLIES 238
Square Community Moderator

Hi there. 

Subscription-style or recurring payment processing isn’t available in the Square app, but this is something we’re working on. 

However, maybe our Recurring Invoices feature might work for you. 

Message 2 of 239

How far in the future is it projected that this will be available for non-profits?

Message 3 of 239
Square

@Wildspirit - By using recurring invoices with card on file, you should be able to create the same experience. Check out this product update for more details. 🙂

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 4 of 239

EJ,

My non profit organization is a religious one. I like the fact that I CAN set up donations through square. However, I want to allow my partners (donaters) to set up their credit card to give a monthly $100. On the previous post you had mentioned about sending recurring invoices. Although it may perhaps accomplish asimilar task, it is very different. People who donate to non profit org's like mine do not consider their payments to us as an "invoice". Please pass this up the chain if possible and/or let me know how I can give my partners an option to set up a monthly recurring gift amount all on their own. Kindly, ESJ 

Message 5 of 239
Square

@ESJ - They wouldn't really have to know it's an invoice. Once you link their card on file, and then schedule the recurring payment, they'll just get a receipt that their card was charged. It should work exactly the same way. Learn to use Recurring Invoices and Card On File.

Sean
he/him/his
Product Manager | Square, Inc.
Message 6 of 239

We receive donations through our website and would like to use Square for those. Our donors are given an option of checking recurring donation with the existing card. However, we do not know what the card number is as our deposit just shows the card with final four digits. Is there a way to access the card number of the customer who requests a monthly recurring donation so it can be set up immediately and easily?

Message 7 of 239
Alumni

Hi @shelleyj - Have you tried saving customers in your Customer Directory where you have the option to save cards on file? 

Message 8 of 239

I agree it would be helpful for the customer/donor/user to be able to set up recurring giving/payments. I understand the suggestion of using the invoice function and allowing for saving card info and auto payment features. However the "invoice" or recurring gift has to initially be set up by the administrator/merchant with the amount and frequency of recurrence and due date. It would also be helpful for the customer/donor to be able to link their bank account for auto drafting. 

It is my understanding that the Stripe platform allows for these functions mentioned above, but already having a square account it would be nice to not have to transition to another platform. 

Please advise of the potential for this to become part of the square options. 

Thanks!

Message 9 of 239

Hi folks,

I have to solve the following problem and I'm wondering if I can do that with Square:

I will open a climbing gym and we sell punch cards (multiple entries prepaid and linked to a customer) as well as 'subscriptions' (prepaid, for the next month/year - you can come as often as you want).

I can see, how I can create the first thing (punch cards) via a gift card (loading number of entries times its price). I am not sure about the second (subscription). Both would be easily done via having a (gift/prepaid) card linked to a customer, I could then make a note in their profile. Even better would be having this as a feature (not sure if it already exists), so people could even self-check in or the whole process would be more straightforward (entries are deducted, validation of subscription is checked).

Any ideas/solutions? Thank you so much!

George

PS: I'm also considering programming this behavior myself. Is there a way to implement that feature (programmed by me) to work seamless with SquareUp?

I know there is a similar thread, but this has a slightly different angle on the topic.

Prepay-customer-accoun

Message 10 of 239

Hi there, 

The Customer Directory and Customer Profiles sounds like they would be features that would work for you. 

While there isn't a way for your customer to check in on their own, you would be able to update their profiles with notes that indicate if they've been pre-paid. 

You can also use the Loyalty features for your punch cards if it fits your business better than physical cards. 

For setting up subscription payments, you can use Card on File with the Square Point of Sale app and Square Invoices to process recurring or subscription-type payments.

Here's a blog post on how to set up recurring payments with Square: 

How to Set Up Recurring Payments

It would be a workaround solution for you that might take some tinkering, but I think it could work for your business. 

Message 11 of 239

Thank you for your reply!

Two follow up questions:

• Is there a way to link gift cards to customers?
  • What about the option of integration all this behavior via an app (e.g. Square App Marketplace), or somehow else? Does the Square POS provide that functionality?

Cheers,

George

Message 12 of 239

While you can save a customers payment card to their profile, unfortunately there's not a way to link gift cards to customers at this time. 

There aren't any app integrations that would fit what you're looking to do specifically. 

Message 13 of 239

Any update on when a membership management feature will be added to square?

I would hate to leave square for different software...

I want to have my client's services roll over to the next month, but with these limited features, It is hard for me to keep track of how many services they have left and a membership card or loyalty point system wouldn't help with that. If i were to use a membership card, they would most likely lose it... and they would expect me to keep track of it. I feel that with a membership management software or feature added to square, this program would be AMAZING for people in the service industry.

Message 14 of 239
Beta Member

Did Square ever answer you about the Membership needs? I am in the same boat, as I have taken on tanning beds and really need a way to not only check them in & out, but also the recurring monthly payments. If they did not what did you decide to go with?

Message 15 of 239

My FEC business is expanding and we're already loyal square customers for accepting payments. I'd like to know if this is an appropriate POS for our new set up which needs waiver signings, membership programs and tracking, etc. Has anyone used it for this purpose? Thanks!

Message 16 of 239
Super Seller Alumni

Our organization has been unsuccesful in using Square to track memberships, renewals, etc.  We sell them via Square using a button that is categorized as such, but we've been forced to use a third-party system like Membee.com for the actual membership database, renewal invoicing, etc.

I am not aware of any component to Square that will support waivers, either.

Without knowing the exact nature of your membership program, it's tough for me to tell you if the Loyalty module or Customer tracking in Square would meet your needs...but I'm guessing not.  If I could have avoided having to implement an outside module, I would have.  My best hope in the near future is that the 3rd party database we are using will eventually offer Square as a payment integration option.

Message 17 of 239
Alumni

Hey @JDLPP,

Welcome to the Community and congratulations on the expansion of your business! As @jjgard said (thank you for your response, by the way!), it's hard to say whether our Loyalty or Customer Directory features will work for your tracking needs without more information on how your membership is set up. Just in case, I've merged your post with a thread on a similar topic. @EJ's answer above explains a workaround with Customer Directory and Loyalty that may be useful for you. If not, then @jjgard's suggestion of Membee.com may work out better for you in the meantime.

In regards to waiver signing, we don't have a feature for that at this time, but hopefully other Sellers can chime in with some suggestions.

Please let us know if you need any further help and we'll do our best to get you pointed in the right direction. 🙂

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 18 of 239

We have integrated our waiver signing through Wix.com. The pop up appears upon entering our site.  A database has been setup and a page created from it to list everyone who has signed a waiver.  The database can be manipulated and new entries. An be added manually.  It's working great.  Now to figure out the membership issues that are similar to some of the others in this chat.

Message 19 of 239
Beta Member

I would love to hear about your solution to signing a waiver and creating memberships.

I just opened an FEC and I'm having the exact same problems. 

Message 20 of 239

I'm starting a massage membership. Basically you pay 80.00 per month and you get any 2 full session you would like or 4 target sessions (which is just a specific area). Also the sessions Can't be rolled over month to month. If you don't use it for the month they expire. I'm trying to figure out how to incorporate a membership card that the square can keep track of. Help?

Message 21 of 239