x

Turn off Split Tender

Is there anyway to turn off the cash option on the charge screen? I only use Square for credit card transactions, and normally I enter the amount, and then hand over the ipad for the customer to swipe, dip the chip, and sign. However I just had a customer who then just took it and hit the $ at the top, then proceeded to swipe their card (which did nothing since it was already at the signature page).  I always check to see if it is asking for a signature or on the receipt page, and it was on receipt so I assumed it worked.  

So, if there isn't a way to stop customers from doing that, like turning off the cash part, looks like I'll be moving to another provider that isn't as dead set in you using an easily stolen iPad to run your whole business.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Super Seller

I’m not sure I’m following 100%. So you put the items in the cart or manually type a price and then hit the charge button and hand it to the customer to finish?  

Then at at this point a customer chose cash as an option?  Hitting cash brings you directly to the receipt page as their is no signature page. 

Handing the the iPad to the customer to ring their own sale up is not the intended way to use the software, you would only give it to them to sign when needed not to have them hold the iPad and figure out how to swipe or dip their own credit card (while trying to hold an iPad). 

Yes a customer could just just hit the cash button and complete the sale (honestly mostly on accident as the don’t know what the interface they were just handed is asking, though some may know more and be disingenuous). 

There is is not a way to turn off cash but the easiest way to solve this would be to not make the customer be in that position to begin with. 

Not sure what someone being able to steal an iPad (or cash register, or cash box, or cellphone, or dedicated credit card processing machine) has to do with Square as your credit card processor. 

Message 2 of 2