x

Managing Inventory Waste

I am trying to figure out the best way to manage the inventory of product waste through the square system. I have found that, using comp, I can run a report of which items were comped and for what reason. For instance, I can comp an item out as a "sample" so I can later report on how many items were given as sample. 

Now if we have to waste out a varitey of items (say expired bakery) and there are 10 different items, each one a different bakery item, it would require 10 seperate comps. Is there a way I can comp out an entire sale? I saw a threat from a year ago speaking of a feature request but I cannot see where to do it. I know this is not the deisgn of comp, but as far as I can see the "100% discount" option does not allow me to generate a report on what was actually discounted out.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Super Seller Alumni

This is not something I track through Square.  We just remove the items from Inventory and make the adjustment in our accounting software.  You could use a discount but like you say there is no report showing the items.  The only way you could easily track it would be to print a receipt and/or create a generic customer Food Waste and tag all the transactions to it.  Then you can easily find them.  I might also create an email alias that you can automatically send all these receipts to.  

Message 2 of 4

@RHatch I like the customer idea, that hadn't even crossed my mind. Is there any way you're aware of to do a report of items sold by employee or would you think it's best to reconcile loss based on receipts?

Message 3 of 4
Super Seller Alumni

That's an idea.  If you ring all of these under an employee "Food Waste" then, Yes you can pull an Item Report by Employee and see all of the items that were marked down.

Message 4 of 4