x

Import Customer names and email

Is there a way to import a .csv file of customers and email addresses into the Square database?

Message 1 of 26
1 Best Answer
Square Community Moderator

Best Answer

Hi there. 

You can absolutely import Customer names and emails. 

To import your Customer List:

# Visit the "Customers page":https://squareup.com/dashboard/customers/list, click *Import* at the top-right corner. *Be sure you’re importing a CSV file.* XLS or other file formats will not import successfully.
# Click *Import*.
# Drag and drop your customer CSV file into the upload field or click "select it from your computer" to upload the file.
# Click Continue.
# Add this customer CSV file to an existing customer group or create a new group.# To add customers to an existing customer group, click the drop-down menu and select a group from the list.

# To create a new customer group, enter a group name and select "create new" in the drop-down field.
# Click Continue.
# Confirm that your customers’ information are in the correct columns. If there are errors, click the drop-down menu to the right of the field and select the correct field.# Note: Use the Notes attribute to keep all the information that doesn’t align with our predefined fields.

# Click Import to move this group to your Customer Directory.

Note: You can export your CSV from other email marketing tools, such as MailChimp or ConstantContact, and upload the file to your CustomerDirectory.

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 26
25 REPLIES 25

Best Answer

Hi there. 

You can absolutely import Customer names and emails. 

To import your Customer List:

# Visit the "Customers page":https://squareup.com/dashboard/customers/list, click *Import* at the top-right corner. *Be sure you’re importing a CSV file.* XLS or other file formats will not import successfully.
# Click *Import*.
# Drag and drop your customer CSV file into the upload field or click "select it from your computer" to upload the file.
# Click Continue.
# Add this customer CSV file to an existing customer group or create a new group.# To add customers to an existing customer group, click the drop-down menu and select a group from the list.

# To create a new customer group, enter a group name and select "create new" in the drop-down field.
# Click Continue.
# Confirm that your customers’ information are in the correct columns. If there are errors, click the drop-down menu to the right of the field and select the correct field.# Note: Use the Notes attribute to keep all the information that doesn’t align with our predefined fields.

# Click Import to move this group to your Customer Directory.

Note: You can export your CSV from other email marketing tools, such as MailChimp or ConstantContact, and upload the file to your CustomerDirectory.

Message 2 of 26

I have tried to import my customer list, and i followed the template given. The problem is I have tried to upload it 3 times and I get an error saying We're sorry but something went wrong. How do I fix this?

Message 3 of 26

@SakuraBG Whenever an error message comes up when trying to import data, it's hard to pinpoint exactly what might be happening. The first thing I would try would be to clear the cache of your web browser, as well as making sure your web browser is up to date. 

If this doesn't help at all, we might need to walk through it with you. 

Message 4 of 26

I am migrating from Shopify to Square this week.

What is the best way to export all of my customer data?

Right now I can see my best customers, the dates of their visits and the amount they have spent to date. Is this possible to transfer to Square?

Message 5 of 26

Hi @808Sweetshack 👋 Thanks for reaching out to us here on the Seller Community!

I've gone ahead and merged your post into an existing thread of Sellers who were also looking for information regarding Importing customers to Square. Take a look at this Best Answer from EJ - it will walk you through what you need to know.

Joe
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 6 of 26

What cvs option do i use there are 3 choices and i get error messages after setting toggles.

Message 7 of 26

Hey @Salonownerof2

What exactly are you trying to do? Can we please get more details to better assist you?

I'll be on the lookout for your reply. 

Sayra
Community Moderator, Square // Moderadora de la Comunidad, Square
Inicie seción y haga clic en Marcar como "Mejor Respuesta" si mi respuesta contesta su pregunta.
Message 8 of 26

Hi, I'm having a tough time importing my cvs file. I downloaded the template and filled it out and when I went to upload it as a csv file, I keep getting issues. like too many fields. help.

can someone format it and upload to my account for me? i've spent way too long on this.

Message 9 of 26

I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble importing your file, @syl77. While we can't format this form you via this forum, our support team would be able to take a closer look at this with you. Reach out via email here so we can dig a bit deeper.

PS. I noticed it's your first post, welcome to our community 👋 

Message 10 of 26

Hi! Quick question here, does anyone know if there is a way to export your current contacts from gmail contacts to the customer directory in square? I thought it would be as easy as "export contacts" and then "import contacts" then using a .csv file. However, when I try this, I get an error message stating "Wrong number of fields". How do I correct this?

Message 11 of 26

@SkiandsportShak This thread should provide some information that can help. 

You might need edit your contacts from Gmail into the .csv file template from the Customer Directory in Square. As long as the information you enter fits the template, you can definitely upload this information into your Customer Directory. 

Message 12 of 26

This is happening to me too. I copied and pasted the field info into the import template from square and I'm still having issues. I need to get this done by tomorrow at the latest as I'm cancelling my Godaddy account tomorrow. Please help!

Message 13 of 26

Welcome to the Community, @Faeriegal1971

Are you using the CSV type of file to get your customers over to Square? 

This will be crucial, so you don't get those error messages. 

I will keep an eye out for your reply👀

Kassi
Message 14 of 26

did you ever figure out a solution? its happening to me right now and customer service can't figure it out

Message 15 of 26
Beta Member

Has anyone figured out a solution to the "Wrong number of fields" error? I'm uploading a .csv customer list. I have the same exact fields the Import Template shows and in the same order. Is it possible that the list is capped at a certain amount? My list has almost 5k customers.

Message 16 of 26

Hey there @RoniM 

With Import file-related inquiries it is best if you reach out to our direct support team. They can take a closer look at the file and point you in the right direction.

JJ
Message 17 of 26

Hi all! Brand new here.... Is there a way to download my current customer base to this format? Thank you

Message 18 of 26
Alumni

Hey @bammy320 - Welcome to the Community!

Great question. If you have your customer info saved as a CSV file, it's definitely possible to transfer it over into Square. I've merged your post with this thread which details the steps on how to import it into your Square Customer Directory. Check out EJ's answer above and let us know if you have any further questions!

Puka - She/They
Seller Community UX Designer
Message 19 of 26

This reply was created from merging an existing thread: Importing emails from excell to square

I have been trying to import a list of emails to square dashboard.

i used the template from square and pasted the emails in the email colum. I then import and it stays stuck at 0%

please help?!

Message 20 of 26
Admin

I'm sorry for the frustration this is causing @Yournycdriver1

It's important to note that you must import the template as CSV file. Other file formats like .XLS are not supported. I've also added your post to this thread which has some more troubleshooting tips.

If you're still seeing the same error please call our CS team when you get a chance so they can take a closer look.

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 21 of 26