x
Beta Member

How are others that price by a decimal quantities working their charges?

We sell our farm's meat and poultry at farmer's markets, on farm and by delivery, and price mostly by the pound.  I'd love to have the ability to set the quantity to a decimal input, so I can enter the weight on the package meat and be able to have a set price on the item, but that is still not available.  So most of our items are just "variable" pricing, and I have to have a calculator in one hand, or go to back and forth from the calculator app on my phone to Square, to calculate the price on all our beef and pork.  The only other option I've been told is to set a price for .01 or .001 lb, and enter the decimal amount in as a whole number.  So if a Pork Shoulder Roast is $8.00/lb, and weights are in tenths, like 2.78 lbs, I'd have to set the price for the item as $.08 and input the quantity as 278, since it only takes whole numbers.  This seems like an expensive accident just waiting to happen.  And trying to explain why I have to do this to customers, and how it would show up on their receipts, just doesn't seem worth it, even if it would save time not having to calulate everything while inputing.  Are their any other farmers, butchers, or others who price by decimal quantities doing it this way successfully?  If so, do customers care?

Message 1 of 315
1 Best Answer
Alumni

Best Answer

Square now offers the ability to charge decimal quantities. Start by visiting Items in Dashboard, then set the unit type. You can choose from a list of preset units, such as pounds, ounces, and feet.

You can also choose to add your own custom unit — in whole number or decimal quantities. Learn more here

Justin
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.

View Best Answer >

Message 313 of 315
314 REPLIES 314

Dubsado, dubsado, dubsado. I've never been more impressed with a service that I'll continue to mention them here again and again.

If you'll pay a monthly fee, let it be to a company who makes MONTHLY upgrades to their system.

Message 211 of 315

Lior, it has been over a year since you posted your response and as of July of 2018 the issue remains unsolved.  This type of response by Square to a critically needed modification is unacceptable. I am a database developer and I understand the nature of changing data fields.  This should not be a mod that takes several years.  Several minutes, perhaps.  Several hours, at worst.  I will be moving on from Square to a platform that understands and responds to the needs of its customers better - and from what I've seen, that would be just about anyone.

Message 212 of 315

I solved it for my business and broke down and bought the scale that was recommended that allows for entering the price per ounce and shows weight and dollar amount with decimals. In square, I created an open item amount for yogurt and enter the dollar amount that is displayed on the scale. It works good but I did have to buy a new printer that was compatible which was another drawback, but in the long run, I have recooped my money spent by not paying the monthly fee I was paying when using Shopkeep and sticking with Square.

Message 213 of 315

I charge by time, how do I weigh time? -_- PayPal is still the reigning champ it seems.

Message 214 of 315

Hi FarmMom, I have the exact same issue. We're a livestock and florals farm, and our meats come in partial weights and our prices are by pound. To have to calculate out the actual price of each product every time, while people are waiting, really is a hassel. 

Message 215 of 315

I also have this request. In whole, Square is a great system. I am a freelancer and if I had to guess, I'd say a very large number of freelancers use Square invoices. Having the ability to use decimals is crucial because a lot of freelancers will have to charge for an hour and a half, for example. I understand there are workarounds but clients like to see each line item and how long each line item took so the workarounds don't really work for me.

I'd also like to mention I'm a freelance programmer so I know how easy a request like this would be. Hope you integrate it soon.

Message 216 of 315

I have a fabric store and some times we sell less than a yard of fabric, i.e. 1/2 yard. My work around is using variables but that is not the best solution.  Does anyone have another suggestion.  It would be great if square would just have a decimal so when adding the number of items you could type in 2.5 or whatever. 

Message 217 of 315
Super Seller

@jwkllkks Yes that would be great if Square would just add decimals but they haven't in 5 years yet so doesn't seem to be a priority.  

For now, another way you could do it is to set up the lowest fraction of a yard you will sell, say 1/4 yard and bill it out that way.  So you would have 6 qty 1/4 yard items for a 1.5-yard sale.  Not ideal tough.

Message 218 of 315

I gave up! Bought an inexpensive cash register and just use the keypad on the square to charge the total amount. So dissapointed in Square!!!!! Shame on you Square for not fixing this. I looked into other systems and couldn't justify the extra cost to change.  

Message 219 of 315

PayPal offers decimal pricing and the same transaction fees, do they not offer a terminal feature?

I'm recommending everyone go to the page that has their "solution" select that the article was not useful and leave a comment requesting decimal pricing. If everyone does this in a short amount of time, maybe, but entirely doubtful, that could finally get some eyes on it.

Message 220 of 315
Beta Member

I just subscribed to square for retail, so I can have purchase orders.
I use Point of sale primarly because i  need items on screen.  

My items are ordered by case ( case of chocolates, case of wafers)
Sometimes I need to order just ½ of case, how can I do that?
It’s not allowing me  to add 0.5 or 1/2

Message 221 of 315
Super Seller

unfortunately, for whatever reason Square doesn't allow/can't support decimals even though it has been requested basically since day one of the app over 5 years ago.

Message 222 of 315
Beta Member

I love Square but i hate when small and simple things are not finished or updated
They always add something new but never finish the whole thing 100%

my way around is  adding note instead vendor code... 

Message 223 of 315
Beta Member

Square please add a decimal 

Message 224 of 315

I could have written this almost verbatim myself.  125 steaks at $.12 each?  I doubt I'm adding any significant leverage with my voice, but I, too, need this.  Standing and talking to people takes a toll and it's really easy to make an error when having juggling multiple apps/devices on top of multiple conversations.

All I can picture is someone designing this never bought food.

Message 225 of 315
Square Community Moderator

@Triple_R Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, and your voice definitely helps the case to get this featured rolled out sooner rather than later 👍🏼

I don't have any updates to share at this time, but we know how important this feature is to our sellers, so we'll chime in with an update as soon as any new information comes along. 

Message 226 of 315

Well it's only been several years so no, I don't think you guys know how important this feature is to your sellers customers. This would be one of the simplest features to integrate. Oh well.

Message 227 of 315

Here! Here! Our best work around is paying another service to process our invoices for us. THANK YOU DUBSADO FOR SOLVING THIS PROBLEM.

Message 228 of 315

This thread should just be locked. Square is clearly not going to address the issue and it is just being spammed/trolled at this point...

Message 229 of 315
Square Community Moderator

@ashamun @rpitchford I'm sorry if this long wait has made you feel unheard. That's definitely not the case. 

I was able to have a quick conversation with one of our Product Managers for this. She wanted me to assure you all that they are advocating for it. They know how important this feature is to sellers and they want to make sure they build this the correct way. There's a lot of unknowns, so it's taking a while as they work to prioritize it, but just know that you're not voiceless in this. 

Unfortunately that is all of the information that I'm able to provide (and all of the information that I have) at this time. 

Thank you for being patient with us thus far. 

Message 230 of 315

Like those before you - still blowing the same patronizing smoke.

Still trying to figure out how to unsubscribe from this useless thread...

Message 231 of 315