x

Is my square device and chip reader square going to recognize my new S7 that I bought today?

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Alumni

Great question, @smdanis! The S7 was only released a couple of weeks ago, and though it does meet all of our general requirements, we haven't officially tested compatibility. Feel free to try it out, and comment back on this thread to let us know how it goes! If you run into any issues, you can always return the reader.  

For others who may see this thread, here's a list of all the devices that our contactless and chip card reader is compatible with: https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5584-devices-compatible-with-square-contactless-and-chip-car...

Message 2 of 19

Just wondering if the Samsung Galaxy S7 has been checked for compatibility with the contactless card reader? Magstripe reader works great, but i cannot get my S7 to pair with the contactless card reader. Please advise. Thanks!!
Message 3 of 19

Message 4 of 19
Alumni

@StaceyJoyNetzel Your question is very similar to this one, so I've merged it! I'll update the thread once we've officially tested on the S7, but this is the current answer.

Message 5 of 19

Message 6 of 19

I tried to use my card swiper with my galaxy 7s today and it will not work. I had to put the numbers in manually. Any ideas when it will become compatible?
Message 7 of 19
Alumni

See the info above!

Message 8 of 19

Just got the Samsung S7 edge today and paired with my mag stripe and contactless + chip card reader with no problem.  Test transactions went flawlessly as well.

Message 9 of 19
Square

Awesome, @suzandroo, that's what we like to hear! 

Message 10 of 19

I want to buy a S7 Samsung phone, and want to know if my reader would work ,I currently own S4, is there a reader that works for the S7 yet?
Message 11 of 19
Square

Great question, @Mrrtripp. Check out the conversation above! 

Message 12 of 19

Please help! I am unclear: I have a Samsung Galaxy S7 with Sprint service. I can not get my chip card reader, the kind that plugs into the headphone jack and has both a magstripe reader AND a chip reader, to work. I keep getting the message "Chip Card Reader Connecting" but it never connects! Any inlfo or help would be very much appreciated! 

Message 13 of 19
Square

Hi @robertb, I'm afraid that chip reader isn't currently supported with the S7. You can also check the reader's compatibility with your device here: http://squ.re/2auKkU0 

Did you recently purchase it? If so, you can return the reader for a full refund. Apologies for the experience! Let me know if you have any other questions.

Message 14 of 19

Spenser, Are you sure of your information?  I inserted my EMV reader  into the audio jack on my phone  and got the message that the software had to be updated.  After updating the software I was able to use the EMV reader to run a chip card in my galaxy s 7 phone. Is this an anomaly? Did I get lucky? I sincerely appreciate your help and look forward to hearing your reply. 

Message 15 of 19
Square

Not necessarily an anomaly, but I am happy to hear that, @robertb

The info on that page is largely based on the success rate in which people are able to use a particular device/reader. If we don't feel that rate is high enough (or just don't have enough data), we'll list a device as incompatible. That doesn't necessarily mean it won't work; just not as consistent as we'd like.  

That list is always changing so I'm hoping we stay in luck here! As long as everything is up-to-date, and the reader is connected, we should be good to go. 

Cheers!

Message 16 of 19

I tried my S7 and my square today with no luck.  I even went as far as uninstalling/reinstalling the app with the same result.  When I used my reader on my S5, a warning would pop up on my screen about using headphones at a high volume might damage my hearing, but I never saw that warning today when I plugged the square reader in.

Message 17 of 19
Square

@karenew You shouldn't have any trouble getting your reader to work with your S7, do you have a case on your phone? Cases can block the reader from making a full connection, which may be the reason you aren't seeing that pop up. If you have taken your case off and you are still having trouble, check out Sean's post here.

Message 18 of 19

It was the case!  I have a Lifeproof case and once I took it off, everything worked fine.  I, originally, had tried the headphone extension that came with the case with the Square (with the case on) with no luck.  

Message 19 of 19