x

Can I used a brand new Square reader purchased elsewhere?

I recently purchased a brand new Square reader off Amazon.  Can I use this one when I create a new account, or do I need to wait until I get the new one Square sends you after you account is created?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Beta Member

You sure can. Once you plug in/pair the reader you'll be able to use your Point of Sale app with that. You'll just need to log in to the account you set up with Square. You can use the 2nd reader on another device (at the same time) using the same sign in information if you need more than one sales terminal.

Message 2 of 5
Super Seller

Square readers are "dumb" devices meaning they only are connected to your account because it is paired with the Square POS app that is logged into your account.  you could literally share it between 10 people a day and it wouldn't care except to who it is paired with.

the only possible issue is there is a difference between the readers sold in Canada and the ones that are sold in the US causing incompatibilities.

Message 3 of 5
Beta Member

No difference between US, Canadian, European or Australian ones. It’s all done in the app! 

Message 4 of 5
Super Seller

@Redlight2015, actually, there are that's why I pointed it out.  a Canadian account can't use a Us contactless reader for tap to pay.  I can't find the specific thread in the Canadian Seller Community but it was discussed by a Square Rep. Seller Community Canada

Message 5 of 5