x

Can you run Square for Restaurants and Square Retail with a single checkout?

Hi there,

We are new to Square and busy trying to set everything up.
We have a vineyard with a tasting room that sells food (tapas), we also sell gift-type items. So I am a little confused about which way to go. Can you set up Square for Restaurants (for food) and Square Retail (for gift items) and have a single checkout? For example, a family comes into the tasting room, orders some wine and food, then goes and looks at some gift items and wants to buy a hat. Can it all be rung up together?

If not can you add non-food items to Square for Restaurants?

Also to add to the picture we want to sell the wine and gift items online but obviously not the restaurant items.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

We are about to order all the POS hardware.

Thanks

Tony

Message 1 of 3
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

@tony4x4 You can add non-food items to square for restaurants without any problems.  Both apps look at items as things...some things have modifiers and are foods and other items are not foods etc.  It does not care.  The great thing is you can use the same ipad for restaurants or the point of sale app.  If you are not doing any type of table service, the point of sale app may work best for you.  Restaurants is really made for automating food service and has great tools for multiple servers and table seating diagrams.  It has the ability to set up kitchen fire orders and more.

Online, you set what you sell and how it is fulfilled.  Square will sell your items any way you want.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Super Seller

Best Answer

@tony4x4 You can add non-food items to square for restaurants without any problems.  Both apps look at items as things...some things have modifiers and are foods and other items are not foods etc.  It does not care.  The great thing is you can use the same ipad for restaurants or the point of sale app.  If you are not doing any type of table service, the point of sale app may work best for you.  Restaurants is really made for automating food service and has great tools for multiple servers and table seating diagrams.  It has the ability to set up kitchen fire orders and more.

Online, you set what you sell and how it is fulfilled.  Square will sell your items any way you want.

Donnie
Multi-Unit Manager
Order Up Cafe/Tombras Cafe/Riverview Cafe/City County Cafe
Roddy Vending Company, Inc.
www.OrderUpCafe.com

Using Square since July, 2017
Square Super Seller
Square Beta Team

"Good judgment comes from experience, and experience comes from bad judgment."

"You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help other people get what they want." Z.Z.
Do you want to have great restaurant menus that are easy to edit and don't cost a fortune? I use MustHaveMenus and you can too!
MustHaveMenus
Message 2 of 3

Thanks, Donnie for your response.

We currently have 14 tables and a kitchen and will be expanding our menu over the next 6 months so I think (and hope) that Restaurants is the way to go. I guess I just need to add the gift shop items as non-food items so we can check out a client that has eaten and purchased gift items with a single check.

Again appreciate your help.

Regards

Message 3 of 3