x

Contracts -- Optional Clauses or Optional Initials

I have an existing contract PDF that I'd like to set up in Square Contracts, and I'm having trouble with one small part. My clients can choose whether or not to consent to release of limited information, and I can't figure out a way to do that in Square. If I add a Initialing to a clause, it requires the client to initial it, which isn't my intent. 

This is a very minor part of the contract, and most clients consent. But I don't want to make it a mandatory part of my contract. I also don't want to make a big deal out of it by making it a separate contract on its own. Making two contracts and letting the client choose between them is also way too heavy for a relatively minor use case.

The way I have this in my PDF is with two checkboxes and two text boxes. The user chooses one of them:

[ ] Client Consents  [__Initial__]            [ ] Client Refuses [__Initial__]

I don't strictly need both checkboxes and optional initials. But some way for the client to make a choice between two options would be extremely helpful here. I'm not really sure how to proceed if that's not possible.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Square Community Moderator

Hello @bentobin and welcome to the Seller Community! 

Sounds like you need to have them initial only next to the checkbox they select, so you need the other initialing field not to be mandatory, correct? 

That is currently not possible, but would having a Yes or No clause and then a field to initial next to it work for you? 

Let us know what you think.

Thank you. 

Frances
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 8

@frances_a 
Yes, a yes/no field would work fine.

Message 3 of 8

@bentobin 

Awesome!

The initials would still be required, no matter if the clause if for yes or no, but that's the best solution I can think of. 

Thank you.

Frances
Message 4 of 8

Is it currently currently possible to add a yes/no field?

Message 5 of 8

Hello @bentobin 

You would simply add a clause with the content Yes/No.

I tried it on my account because other sellers have added it that way, but realized it would only work for a printed contract. 

My next suggestion would be to add two separate clauses, with initials not required and have them initial next to the one they want to "select" 

Would look something like: 

YES - I consent 

___Initials___

NO - I do not consent

___Initials___

Let me know if this would work and sorry for the confusion! I have edited my responses above to avoid confusing other Sellers that might visit this thread. 

Thank you!

Frances
Message 6 of 8

I see. I was hoping I wouldn't have to deal with printed contacts since my clients are remote. Thanks for your suggestions!

Message 7 of 8

@bentobin

I completely understand and I'm sorry there isn't a feature that does exactly what you need yet. 

Hopefully my last suggestion can function as a workaround for now! 

Frances
Message 8 of 8