x
Beta Member

New to Square: Where do I start?

Hi All! I'm new to Square and we have a small coffee shop/bakery planned to open in about 6 weeks. We purchased our square POS through ebay. I am currently unsure on where to begin. Adding items seems the most logical, but are there any other tips for getting started? Also, we are interested in setting something up to take text ahead orders. Is there a feature or workaround to do this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback, 

Katie

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Super Seller

what did you buy off eBay?  what items like what printer, cash drawer etc to better understand what you are dealing with.  

as for getting started with Square.  yes, you will need to add your items and taxes.  here is a getting started article. https://squareup.com/help/us/en/article/5123-square-get-started-guide

Message 2 of 5
Beta Member

Thanks for the reply. The article you posted is helpful. We purchased the square stand, Star TSP100 eco printer and cash drawer. 

Message 3 of 5
Super Seller Alumni

Use the square stand to your full advantage.  I've owned/managed coffee shops over the last 15 years.  I currently volunteer at the coffee shop inside our church.  The person overseeing the shop likes to use the library to look items up on her stand.  In my opinion this is a big waste of time.  If you set your stand up how a POS is supposed to be set up, you will start to memorize it with repetition.  It will be a huge advantage for you and your customers.
Play around with the items and modifiers.  You will find that if you can use the same modifiers for different drinks, you will save yourself a lot of time inputing information.  

Message 4 of 5
Beta Member

Thank you for the helpful tip. I think that is the most indimidating aspect for me. I want to set the space up so that it is intuitive and easy to use. Good to know that using the library could impact efficiency. 

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5