x

POS: What's the point of "Log In"

When using the POS, my employees can enter their code and ring up a sale. So what is the purpose of the "log in" button down in the lower right of the POS screen? (I don't mean the one at the bottom of settings, that signs in the device with my square account credentials.)

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
Admin

Sorry to keep you waiting for a reply @twentysixcafe!

The "Log In" and "Log Out" can be used by employees to log out so another employee can take a sale. From Settings when you enable Employee Management and Require Employee Passcode "Always" you should see this message:

Then if another employee taps Log Out they should see the message below so that they clock in:

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions or if this is disrupting your employees workflow that would be great feedback for the Employee Management team! 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 14

Thanks @Helen. So as I understand it, the "Log In" button allows an employee to provide a passcode once for a sequence of actions requiring a passcode, which is especially relevant if the setting "require passcode - always" is set.

I guess, on the one hand, it's cool to be able to track sales transactions per employee. I can see how this would work with the Square feature-set for some businesses. But, in the case of a business where many people are on the register, sometimes semi-frantic with customers, having to enter their code and/or sign in and out all the time, causes a little too much friction.

I guess, perhaps the only suggestion I would make is that it would be a nice configurable option to just hide the "Log In" button completely, for those of us who do not use the Log In feature.

Message 3 of 14
Admin

Thanks for this feedback @twentysixcafe!

With this feature enables employees don't have to fully log in -- they only have to enter their 4-digit passcode. After they enter their pasccode they'll see 'Log Out' and their initials. In the screenshot above the employee 'EG' entered their passcode to log in and complete a sale. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 14
Super Seller

Hi Helen! I was wondering what app I needed to use to be able to track sales transactions from 2 employee offs of the same iPad.

I use the Square POS app (not for retail, unless that's what I need?) and a device code. I don't think the functionality above exists anymore - unless I am looking at the wrong app. I would like to keep my iPad upfront and my employees use their different passcodes to clock out guests, earn tips and commission on their own sales (not pooling). How do I set that up?

UV-Free Tanning Salon Owner, Northern California (Campbell)
Message 5 of 14
Square Community Moderator

Hi @Bronze_Palms

You can Setup Commission Tracking using Square Appointments, Team Plus, Payroll, Retail Plus, or the Restaurant app. It is not possible to track using just Square POS at this time. 

Hope this helps! 😊

Message 6 of 14
Super Seller

Thank you!! So you're saying, if I use the Square Appointments app on my iPad, employees can simply enter a passcode to close out clients, earn their commission and tips? Then the next employee can use their different passcode to do the same without signing out and signing in every time? @BernadetteA 

Message 7 of 14

Hi @Bronze_Palms 👋

I checked in with a teammate, and they advised that you would need to use the Teams Plus app to do what you are needing to do. 

Here is an overview page that lists all of the features between the free and paid options. 

Message 8 of 14
Super Seller

@BernadetteA thanks I have that. They all have their own passcodes set up. How do I use my iPad upfront and have employees use a passcode to close out clients? This is important so they all earn their own tips and commission.

Message 9 of 14
Super Seller

@BernadetteA I want employees to be able to use their 4 digit passcode instead of logging in and logging out every time, that's a waste. Besides, it doesn't look professional when they are having to use their phones to close out clients.

re Helens most recent reply in 2018

Message 10 of 14
Super Seller

@BernadetteA the closest workaround to this I could find was setting Square to require a passcode after 30 seconds of idle time. Then, a different employee would be able to sign in and close out their client. But, if we are closing out appointments back to back, we run into the inefficiency issue - we would have to wait 30 seconds until the passcode is required again. If there's a better way, like the suggestion Helen had, please let me know.

If I do it this way and I am signed in, but the employee uses their own passcode to close out a client, the employee gets the sale, correct?

Message 11 of 14

Hopping in for @BernadetteA here! While 30 seconds is the idle time out you should be able to manually force the Log Off (not to be confused with Sign out which means closing the account on the device). By logging off you will make the app prompt for the four digit passcode again. 

To log out the current employee or team member you would just have to visit More > and select Log out [Employee Name] this will bring the passcode screen up for you again without having to wait for the time 

I hope this information is helpful @Bronze_Palms

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 12 of 14
Super Seller

@JJ_ I noticed it'll prompt a passcode when I close out of the app and reopen it (regardless of the 30s rule).

When Employee A charges someone on their own passcode, the tip and commission will not go to me (the owner) although I am the one signed into the account, right?

Employee A and B need to be able to close out their own transactions and have it still sync up to square payroll appropriately.

*I am really surprised I have to ask this and its been a weeks long thread to get answers to this... I cannot be the only one needing clarity on closing out appointments.

Message 13 of 14

Correct @Bronze_Palms tips and sales will be attributed only to the person closing out the customer on the Point of Sale. So in this example we'll start with you Signed In in as Owner of business, then Employee A will log in (not sign in!) with their passcode and checkout or close out a customer  this will cause that both the sale and the tips processed will be attributed to them. Then Employee B needs to make sure that no employee is currently signed in before closing out their customer following the steps outlined before. 

I hope this makes sense.

Tipping and Sale Attribution conversations are always complicated (as they need to be) and explained faster by reaching out to our direct Support team so they can help you in real-time and guide you to your desired outcome if possible, in one call. 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 14 of 14