x

Running balance reports for business square account

Is there a way to view the running balance for my business square account?

I made the switch from another online payment site a bit ago, and I haven't been able to find this or any comparable reports. I also attempted to create a custom report to no avail.  

Pic for referencepaypal-running-balance-02.png

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer
Super Seller

Best Answer

I use QuickBooks to get that type of report since I haven’t been able to get it from square itself. I use the commerce sync add-on from the Square App Store and it creates an invoice for each sale and breaks everything down in QuickBooks  like you appear to be wanting. It runs 19 a month but works much better than the square/QuickBooks sync and has literally saved me hours of book work every week 

View Best Answer >

Message 7 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Square Community Moderator

Hey! You should be able to view a running balance of your sales on the Square Dashboard under Sales Summary. Depending on your date settings, it should show you an accurate real-time balance of your sales.

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 2 of 15

Thanks for your response! 

The sales summary is not quite what I'm looking for. 

For accounting purposes, I need basically a balancing of the checkbook type deal. Like in QuickBooks or previously Payal, I'd need each transaction that occurs to be listed in one place.  

So line items would be individual to each and every transaction that occurs (i.e. payment, refund, fee reversal from square, deduction from my account to cover refund, etc). 

Here are the example I'm looking for. I'm not sure they exist yet in Square. paypal-running-balance-02.pngScreen Shot 2020-12-03 at 9.49.01 AM.jpg

Message 3 of 15

Ah, I see. I'm sorry I missed that earlier! While we don't have a running balance (like in your screenshot), we do sync up with Quickbooks. So, if you still have Quickbooks it may be worth investigating. 

AshleyK
Message 4 of 15
Beta Member

Is there a way to sync square with Quickbooks DESKTOP?

Message 5 of 15
Super Seller

You can import the Square Sales data into Quickbooks Desktop but it’s a manual process. Not an option to have it automatically sync

https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/import-or-export-data-files/import-square-transact...

Message 6 of 15
Super Seller

Best Answer

I use QuickBooks to get that type of report since I haven’t been able to get it from square itself. I use the commerce sync add-on from the Square App Store and it creates an invoice for each sale and breaks everything down in QuickBooks  like you appear to be wanting. It runs 19 a month but works much better than the square/QuickBooks sync and has literally saved me hours of book work every week 

Message 7 of 15

That sounds very promising! Thank you! 

Just to confirm, is this the app add-on you're referencing?

https://squareup.com/us/en/app-marketplace/app/commerce-sync

Message 8 of 15
Super Seller

Yep that’s the one. Been using it for a couple of years now and it works great. It only syncs once a day but it makes tax time a breeze since it creates the sub accounts in QuickBooks for all the different things it needs to report and makes all the entry’s. 

Message 9 of 15

Thanks for stepping in to share your tips, @homeprogreen! We appreciate you! 🙏

Joe
Message 10 of 15
Super Seller

You’re welcome 

Message 11 of 15
Beta Member

I, too, need this sort of report.  We don't use QuickBooks so that answer isn't helpful.  I can see easiliy enough what credit card payments we took from our customers, but I don't find a way to see the payouts you think you made to our bank account.  We run the Square Balance just like a bank account in our accounting system (NetSuite).  When your daily report says we accepted $450 in credit cards, we debit the Square Bank Account for $450.  When you send us $125 as a payout, we credit the Square Bank Account for $125.  Therefore at the end of the month we have a $325 balance in the Square Bank Account in our books and our auditor would like to see that you think you owe us as of end of the month that $325.  Other than being lucky enough to remember to take a screen shot of the Balance on that date, I don't see a way to get such a report.

Message 12 of 15
Super Seller

Probably be a lot more accurate if you looked at the daily report and entered the Square Fees as a debit to the Square Account that you have setup. As an example let’s use your figure of 450 dollars. So the daily report says you took 450 in card swipes so you credit the account the 450 like you do now. Then you look at the fees line on the daily report that you got your sales total from and you see that Square kept $11.43 in swipe fees so you enter the 11.43 as a debit to your expense line account “ Square Fees” or Bank Fees.   That’s going to leave you a balance in your “ Square account “ of 438.57 which should match what square actually deposited in your bank account overnight. So then you just debit or transfer that amount out of your square account into your regular bank account. If you offer discounts then you would also need a line item expense “ discounts “ that you would also need to debit from the square account. That amount is also available on your daily sales report. Much cleaner way of tracking it and I am sure that your accountant will appreciate the fact that all the amounts are accurate and easily matched up 

Message 13 of 15
Beta Member

I am good with everything you said.  And am doing as you directed.  What I need for the auditors is a report from Square that I can say "what was the balance Square owes us as of February 28, 2023.  The only way I can get that report is to open the Balance screen on February 28th after all our transactions for that date are complete and take a screen shot.  Square has all the data necessary to create a dated balance report.  Toast does it.  Stripe does it.  Easy peasy.

Message 14 of 15
Super Seller

@Taglotn ;

You can go to your Square Dashboard > Transactions - then select the date or date range.

The on the Right side of the Screen it has a Export button so you can Export your Transactions for that Date or Date Range.

So if you would Choose a Date Range of Feb 1st, 2023 till Feb 28th, 2023. You would have a report in a CSV file that will show you everything your Accountant would need.  

Here is a sample of 2 sales from 2-25-2023 I just opened 6-6-2023.  You will have to sum up the Net Total column to see what was Deposited to your account or what is owed to your account for the date range you entered.  I removed some identifying IDs in the sample below.

DateTimeTime ZoneGross SalesDiscountsService ChargesNet SalesGift Card SalesTaxTipPartial RefundsTotal CollectedSourceCardCard Entry MethodsCashSquare Gift CardOther TenderOther Tender TypeOther Tender NoteFeesNet TotalTransaction IDPayment IDCard BrandPAN SuffixDevice NameStaff NameStaff IDDetailsDescriptionEvent TypeLocationDining OptionCustomer IDCustomer NameCustomer Reference IDInitial FeesAdjustment FeesDevice NicknameFee PlanNumber of AdjustmentsAdjustment Date(s)
2/25/202317:00:34Eastern Time (US & Canada)$76.89$0.00$0.00$76.89$0.00$4.61$0.00$0.00$81.50Point of Sale$81.50Tapped$0.00$0.00$0.00  -$2.14$79.36RKvAJceVwJVisa iPad 1234 5 x Oils .5 oz (Regular), EB 470 Black (EB 470 Black) - BB 10 C, EB 470 Blue (EB 470 Blue) - BB 10 C, 4 x Miscellaneous (Regular)Payment     -$2.14$0.00Cash and Credit CardBlended Rate0 
2/25/202316:24:47Eastern Time (US & Canada)$110.00-$25.00$0.00$85.00$0.00$5.10$0.00$0.00$90.10Point of Sale$90.10Dipped$0.00$0.00$0.00  -$2.35$87.75ZUes8Av9HGqVisa iPad 1234 Miscellaneous (Regular), Miscellaneous (Regular)Payment     -$2.35$0.00Cash and Credit CardBlended Rate0

Another way is to go to your Dashboard > Balance -- Click on your Location - View ALL Transfers  Then enter the Date or date range and then Export.  Shows the Deposit Date and the Date the Sale was made plus the Gross (Collected) Square Fees (Fees) and how much for the Transaction was deposited (Deposited).  Now again you would have to sum up these columns to get a total for your date or date range.  

Deposit DatePayment DateTypeTransaction IDPayment IDCollectedFeesDepositedDeposit IDLocation
2/26/20232/25/2023PaymentRKvAJceVwJ$81.50($2.14)$79.363Z4617 
2/26/20232/25/2023PaymentZUes8Av9HGq$90.10($2.35)$87.753Z4617 
Keith
Owner
Pocono Candle

Mark as Best Answer if this Helped you solve an issue or give it a thumbs up if you like the answer.
Square Support Number 855-700-6000.
Make Sure App and OS is up to date on your Device.
Message 15 of 15