x

Abandoned Cart Emails - GDPR

Does anyone know if sending out the automated abandoned cart emails we will be complient with GDPR

Otherwise promote would have lost a significant value to me if it becomes less in its purpose

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3

@eo1n Any idea? you seem quite aware of the GDPR situation

Message 2 of 4

Sorry to butt in but you raise an interesting point,(or - I hadn't thought of this issue...)

My initial reaction is that you could be in breach of the regulation. By abandoning the cart the user/(individual) removes their personal data and so you have no right to hold it. Nor have they given you any permisssion to contact them. 

A possible work-around is that your privacy policy can state that this will happen so you have some "fall-back", and that you are only sending them a mail as a courtesy. You should also indicate that you will not contact them again, and any details you have will be deleted within 7 days assuming no further communication. Again you have no right (or rather the individual has the right) to hold their personal data.

Not sure - based on some expert advice I heard on the UK radio this a.m. - that many are up to speed. The expert has, in my opinion, been giving wrong advice in their capacity as "business consultant", so hope their clients don't get caught out.

The problem with GDPR is that it raises lots of tiny details - many of which are probably irrelevant to most people. But there will be the few who demand justice and become a real pain in ensuring their rights are upheld. You (we) just need to check we are covered and avoid any stupid mistakes.

That's it from me.

Message 3 of 4

I think @ACn could be right. That is a pity. Because Abandoned Carts are useful.
Have a look at this article which could be helpful.

https://www.quora.com/Are-abandoned-cart-emails-allowed-under-new-GDPR-regulations
Message 4 of 4