x

Add shipping to Order (not an invoice) after tax

I'm a photographer that is shooting dog Christmas photos this weekend. I have added all of my packages into the item library. These photos will be shot, ordered and paid for at the session. They will be shipped after they are printed. How do I add a shipping charge to each order? It should be done after tax, not before. Is there a way to do this? 

Message 1 of 11
2 Best Answers
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

When you create your shipping item just remove the tax from that item.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 3.43.22 PM.png

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 11
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hello @nika 

Thank you for the idea:

Here are the instructions of how I could resolve the issues.

1. Go to the 'Library' menu located on the bottom of the app. (There are 'Keypad' and 'Library')

2. Press  'Library'

3. Go to 'Create New' -> Create Item.  This will be new item. I entered the name 'Shipping and Handling'.  At the bottom, I typed the same wordings in the Description. I turned off the Sales Tax and made it 'Inactive'.

4. Click 'Save' on the top right hand corner.

------

5. Go back to the Keypad again to enter the amount:

6. Amount will be automatically calculated with Sales Tax.

7. Click the 'Library'

8. Click the 'Shipping and Handling' item that had just recently created.

9. Enter the appropriate amount.

10. Press 'Add' on the top right hand corner.

11. Press the 'Keypad' to bring back the charge menu.

12. Insert the credit card and run the transactions as always.

Look like you helped me resolved the issue.  So, I decided to write the way to put this information into the resolution, in case someone would like to do the same thing.

Thanks again.

Gracelynn

View Best Answer >

Message 6 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Super Seller Alumni

Best Answer

When you create your shipping item just remove the tax from that item.

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 3.43.22 PM.png

Message 2 of 11

I never even thought of that! Thanks!!

Message 3 of 11
Beta Member

Is there anyway that you can exclude sales tax for shipping cost?

Situation:  We are selling several items at the fairgrounds.  We collect the sales tax from the customers via Square Point of Sales, small device attached to the phone via Square apps.

However, some customers would like us to ship their items to their friends.  I do not think it is correct to add the sales tax to the shipping and handling cost.

(Not all items are shipped. 99% of the items are sold at the fairgrounds. We only charge the sales tax, that's all.)  However, the 1% is turning out to be the issues.

Does anyone has a way to work on this?

Example of the situation:  (I use the round number for easy calculation. The actual numbers are varied.)

Item sold  = $100
Sales tax 10%  =  $10.00

Shipping and handling cost  = $15.00

Current situation:  I have to charge the customer for $115 (item + Shipping & Handling) plus 10% sales tax, which will total to $115 + 11.5  = $126.50  to his/her charge card
--------------

The correct way to charge should be:  $100  plus 10% Sales Tax, which is $110. Then, add $15 for shipping and handling, which will total to $125.00

--------------

I do not want to request the refund for all transactions that involve the shipping & handling.  I would like to be fair for the buyers.

Is there anyway to work on this or we need to tax the shipping & handling cost by including in the items sold?  

Any opinions or advices will be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Message 4 of 11
Admin

Hey @GracelynnsClay. Thanks for your question. I went ahead and moved your post here so you can see @RHatch's solution above. You can create "shipping" as an item and remove the taxes below.

Hope this helps!

Bea_
Beta Community Manager, Square
Join the Beta Community
Evaluate | Influence | Engage
Message 5 of 11
Beta Member

Best Answer

Hello @nika 

Thank you for the idea:

Here are the instructions of how I could resolve the issues.

1. Go to the 'Library' menu located on the bottom of the app. (There are 'Keypad' and 'Library')

2. Press  'Library'

3. Go to 'Create New' -> Create Item.  This will be new item. I entered the name 'Shipping and Handling'.  At the bottom, I typed the same wordings in the Description. I turned off the Sales Tax and made it 'Inactive'.

4. Click 'Save' on the top right hand corner.

------

5. Go back to the Keypad again to enter the amount:

6. Amount will be automatically calculated with Sales Tax.

7. Click the 'Library'

8. Click the 'Shipping and Handling' item that had just recently created.

9. Enter the appropriate amount.

10. Press 'Add' on the top right hand corner.

11. Press the 'Keypad' to bring back the charge menu.

12. Insert the credit card and run the transactions as always.

Look like you helped me resolved the issue.  So, I decided to write the way to put this information into the resolution, in case someone would like to do the same thing.

Thanks again.

Gracelynn

Message 6 of 11
Admin

@GracelynnsClay Teamwork makes the dream work! Thanks for sharing!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 7 of 11

I apply discounts to items purchased but want to add shipping and not discount it.  How?

Message 8 of 11
Admin

Thanks for joining us here in the Community @donvidon!

I moved your question here so you can see above how to get this accomplished.

Come back with any other questions you might have!

Bea_
Join the Beta Community
Message 9 of 11

Why is "how to discount and invoice and not shipping" is being avoided. I have been searching for this answer and it always goes into just unclick the no tax box under customize. I have seen a lot of this and we as about stop the discount and not the tax. Why?

Yall won't fix anything and avoid what is being asked a lot. I have been asking and many others have asked to be able to price my items to the hundred-thousandth. still, won't do that. Yall just say it's hard to do, but PayPal, Quickbooks, and other companies can accomplish this. 

There are more other problems.

Message 10 of 11

I understand that when you apply a discount to all items that if affects all items. What I would like to know is if there is a what at least for the shipping line item for you to be able to un-click the discount applied to all and have your shipping be full price and taxed or un-taxed depending on your state, rather than having to put on each other line item the group discount. The same way you can select the discounts you should be able to unselect the ones you don't want applied.

For example I want to give my customer a 30% discount on 6 line items but not shipping and I would have to go select the 30% discount on each of the other items rather than doing the group discount at the bottom and unselecting the discount for the shipping. Very frustrating.

Tags (1)
Message 11 of 11