x

Adding a tip on 100% discount

We have a client that receives 100% discount off his bill, thus making it a $0.00 sale. He wants to add gratuity for the server, usually 20%.  Is there a way to do this?

Message 1 of 15
1 Best Answer

Best Answer

Hello @BathClubGM, welcome to the Seller Community! 

If this client plans on leaving a tip with a credit card this will not be possible. Currently we have a $1 dollar minimum for credit card transactions. If the sale is $0 dollars you won't have the option to charge the card. 

An alternative is to charge this client $1 dollar, so he can leave a tip for the server and then issue him a refund for the dollar. His meal will still be comped and the server gets their tip! 😀

View Best Answer >

Message 2 of 15
14 REPLIES 14

Best Answer

Hello @BathClubGM, welcome to the Seller Community! 

If this client plans on leaving a tip with a credit card this will not be possible. Currently we have a $1 dollar minimum for credit card transactions. If the sale is $0 dollars you won't have the option to charge the card. 

An alternative is to charge this client $1 dollar, so he can leave a tip for the server and then issue him a refund for the dollar. His meal will still be comped and the server gets their tip! 😀

Message 2 of 15

Thank you for your answer. We will proceed with your suggestion.

Message 3 of 15

You're welcome @BathClubGM! If you have questions in the future, always feel free to reach out. 

Message 4 of 15

We've added an item called 'Add Tip on Credit Card'. Price is variable. This we just add to the sale. Maybe you can do something like that.

Message 5 of 15

On your "add tip on credit card" option or button you've created, you still have to charge a min of $1 right?

Message 6 of 15
Admin

Yes @moonvine, with Square the minimum amount you can charge to a card is $1 - so that would be the minimum tip amount too!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 7 of 15

Exactly! Square will only accept tips up to the amount When the sale is $3.00 or less. We have missed out on tipped income at our coffee shop as result of that policy. 

Message 8 of 15
Square Community Moderator

Hey @Jamoka thank you for posting. I hear you, that is so frustrating to miss out on tips especially when you're wanting to discount a customer's sale and help them out. This is a popular feature request, as you can see, and I will be sure to share this with our Development Team so they know this is still a growing request. 

Keep an eye out on this thread for any future updates though! Thanks! 

AshleyK
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 9 of 15

Hi AshleyK, we've run into this problem as well. We have Members that receive a free item but want to tip the server for the service they received. Is there a solution to this problem yet? 

Message 10 of 15

Hi Square,

We are running a growing clinical massage therapy business and we use square to sell package deals. Once the therapist is done with the session, we are trying to research a way to have the therapist "check out" the client and give them the opportunity to tip the therapist by signing a tablet for the tip.

This seems similar to the issue with trying to tip on a 0.00 transaction unless there is another workaround on this?

Thanks

Leah

Message 11 of 15

We are still looking for a way to get this done. Surprised Square has not come up with something. We process 150k in tip only transactions a year and the only way we can do it is to actually ask the clients how much they would like to leave. I hate doing that, but I do think the tips are a little better! Having to say it out loud seems to make people a little more generous. 

Still I would prefer the clients were able to simply enter the amounts themselves on the screen. GET ON THIS SQUARE!!!

Tom J

Message 12 of 15

Hey @BodyMind1,

Thanks for reaching out to share your feedback.

Feel free to also share your suggestions in our Ideate Room here: squ.re/ideate - Our Product Team keeps an eye on this forum as they are constantly improving our products based on feedback like this.

Let me know if I can assist you with anything else.

Message 13 of 15

Also looking for this function. I see the first request was in 2020, and to see that it hasn’t been added as a function yet and it’s 2023 is quite frustrating. As a Massage Business we direct bill and often the cost is covered by insurance and clients still want to give a tip. And because we’re becoming a more cashless society people only have credit and debit. This should be a feature worked on at the forefront of features. 

Message 14 of 15

Thank you for taking the time to share your interest in this feature @MaierMassage  I really find your situation valid and see how this feature would benefit your business. I recommend you submit a Feature Request here. This will help our product team get visibility and track other Sellers with similar interest in your request. 

Important: When submitting a request, make sure to include the desired feature, and provide the details of how this feature will help your business succeed (how would you use it and what you expect from it).

P.S. Welcome to the Seller Community 

JJ
Community Moderator, Square
Sign in and click Mark as Best Answer if my reply answers your question.
Message 15 of 15