x

Are recurring payments same as autopay?

Hello all, sorry if this has been answered but I wasn’t able to find it. I set up a client with a monthly recurring payment for lawn care on her card that is on file and I thought that it would charge that card automatically on the first of each month. Did I do something wrong or is that not an option? She was automatically sent the invoice and it says that she read that email but I don’t know exactly what that email said. Is it something like “do you approve this payment” or something that needs to do for it to go through? Thanks

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Admin

Hello @Melodicly

Yes you can set up invoices to automatically charge a clients card on file.

To set up a recurring invoice and charge a card on fileyou would choose their saved card in the Invoice Method section of the invoice. You'll see the last four digits of their card and when you've added the other invoice details > click Charge. Your client will receive an email with the subject line Invoice Paid and on file has been charged, they don't need to take any action. This Support Center article has a good video about setting up recurring automatic payments.

However, if you didn't add their saved card on file to the invoice and shared the invoice with them by email instead the client would receive an email with the subject line New Invoice. From the email they'll need to click Pay Invoice to enter their card details in a new window, like this: 

If you gave them the option to save their card on file they can check the box. 

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 2 of 4

Ah, so I need to manually go in every month and instead of send invoice to just click charge vs send invoice. Is there a way to set it up so it automatically does this without having to manually do it each time for recurring? One last question, if their card is on file, will it still require them to enter their card information? Thank you very much

Message 3 of 4
Admin

Hi again! You don't need to do this every month. From the Invoices section of your Dashboard click Recurring from the menu on the left > and then click Create Recurring Series.

As you're creating this series (add the customer > choose their card on file for the Invoice method) you can also set the schedule for how frequently the card will be charged. That section looks like this: 

Fill in all the other details and click 'Charge' to charge the card. If you already have their card on file your customer will not need to enter their information again!

️ Helen
Seller Community Manager

Did you find help in the Seller Community? Mark a Best Answer to help others.
Message 4 of 4